Techno Fan

tom2010

Gday, power the fan up directly with 12 volts from a car battery. If it works, you have an issue with the bike, if not, you need a new fan. I got one for my Techno from my local wreckers, it is the same as many japanese bikes.

Cheers,

Stork

Had one go on a Techno many years ago. They are an arm and a leg to buy, luckily I had an old fan kicking around from a Honda NC30 race bike so I used that.

A pal also had one go on a Techno and he bought a little 12v from a model car shop and fitted that for a fraction of the price of a Beta one.

Hope this helps

Pete

right! had a look at it tonight. One of the wires from the fan was just an ampty clip going to nothing whic hexplains why it hasn't been kicking in!

took the clip off and fired the bike up and touched the wire to another empty clamp, which resulted in nothing! touched it to the second empty clamp and the fan started but the bike engine died, though it must have been a change in voltage whilst idling so wired it to the second clamp, connected to thermostat and went for a quick test ride, going down a hill and the fan kicked in and the bike died, wouldnt start until i disconnected the thermo wires. Seems we had wired it to the kill switch and when the circuit was complete (thermostat completes it) the fan gets a brief burst of power and turns but it kills the bike. (at least fan and thermo are working ok though)

tried it touching the other clamp again but nothing :s but both wires seem to come out of the same box :s all from a single yellow wire :S had a look at wiring digram buit it was of no help! and got no multimeter to make it harder. Got a few pics which i'll psot up later, but anyone got any ideas?

thanks

bikepics-2006795-800.jpg

bikepics-2006794-800.jpg

first pic is where the 2 wires we tried connecting the fan wire to connect to. also tried connecting it directly to the white clip but got nothing (where the blue spade goes onto.

second is the fan wire (with no end on) and the 2 we tried it to, crimped one being what we think is the kill switch, and the other being what seems to be a powerless wire??

this is the way its wired on my 97 .. might be the same depends on if its DUCATI or LEONILLI electrics.

try this :-

follow the yellow wire FROM the engine (stator) this should go to the rectifier, from the rectifier there should be a blue wire that goes to the thermostat switch on top of the cylinder, the other side of the thermostat should goto earth.

back to the rectifier there should be two other wires ( green on mine) these goto the fan as they supply 12v DC.

** in the pic the yellow wire is split into 2, wondering if the other yellow goes to a regulator ?

*** i have some other diagrams of the electrics somewhere .. ill see if i can dig them out and sent to you.

****dont be surprised if the rectifier consists of a RS406l (bridge rectifier) with a blue 1000uf capacitor on it wraped in tape.

(if same then the 2 wires with the capacitor (outer wires on rectifier [inner two are for the AC input]) on it are the 12v DC feed and earth for the fan)

Thanks for the reply, that sounds similar to what I've got so far, from fly, splitting one to 'rectifier' one to voltage reg. Only issue is i have no idea what the rectifier looks like, has anyone got a pic of theirs?? think that may well be the missing link... there is a connector that the 2 fan wires go to which is just loose. could that be the rectifier??

Thanks again!