Ty80, Stronger Slide Spring?

pierre66

Hi all,

my sons TY80. i have removed the oil pump and made up a new single throttle cable, the problem my son is having now is the throttle is very, very light and when he pulls the front brake he`s twisting the throttle at the same time (this wasn`t happening before) this has lead to a couple of big off`s, he`s new to bikes and this has really dented his confidence. i`ve tried moving the brake lever but no different so i was wondering if you can get a stronger slide spring so the throttle doesn`t twist as easy?

any other suggestions will be appreciated, bearing in mind he`s a new rider and all he`s doing is riding round on it, not competing. cheers.

Well, you can always put a second spring in - just intertwine the two. But..... I really don't think that is the way to go. You need to figure out why he is twisting the throttle when applying the brake. With the force used to put the brake on a stronger spring isn't going to do much.

If he has fairly small hands you may need to move the lever closer to the handlebar so when he reaches for it, it is not such a stretch. If you heat the lever with a propane torch the lever will bend without breaking.

Alan

Alan is spot on,I have exactly the same problem - I've just bought a PW80 Yam for my kids.My daughter who is 9 yrs old is struggling to get the front brake on without opening the throttle.i was looking at a different lever - but maybe I should just fire up the gas....

When my youngest so rode his TY80 for the first time he did the same thing and crashed into the house ... WFO in first gear . He was OK but the house still has a dent ... I took the slide out and added a piece of vacuum line over the throttle cable , inside the spring . It limited the bike to just a little over 1/4 throttle , which was perfect for him to learn the controls and it to become natural . My porting mistake on the barrel didn't help either , would've made a great MX bike ! Already have another top end waiting to go on that was ported by Bob at B&J racing . (The TY GURU !) As it is right now , without the throttle stop it will wheelie my fat a$$ in any gear without alot of effort ... But now almost 2 years after his one good crash , he can ride it without the stop , and has learned to respect it , a trials motor it ain't ! And the bike already had adjustable pivot/pull/length levers on it when he crashed , 'cause the originals were worn away and it got fresh bars and levers in the restoration .

Have your son practice working the front brake while sitting and idleing in neutral , He'll get the hang of not twisting the thottle with a little practice :mellow:

Glenn

http://www.youtube.com/user/TrialsTimes#p/a/u/1/1b-oiGl1sV0 This is his TY80 After restoration and then after mucho modification ...

• 4 weeks later...