Electric Motorcycles

charliechitlins

Actually,,

On one of the Trials TV DVD's (can't remember which one) there is a quick shot of video at a honda tent showing off a prototype Honda Electric Trials bike. The engine appeared to be stuffed into the 315 frame... never heard or saw anything about it since... it certainly would have been a thousand times better than the Denali, which was more mountain bike parts than trials bike parts.. The denali wouldn't stand the abuse by anyone more than a novice.

sometimes I wonder about electric trials bikes.. I think they'd have awesome torque, but IMO, you would still need some type of clutch in order to obtain absolutely hair-trigger instant power to do things like zaps, splatters, etc. yes, the throttle controls power, but I think at times the clutch is almost more important for how we control a trials motorcycle. While I'm at it, wouldn't you also need a flywheel, in cases where you might want to rev the engine to store energy in the flywheel, and then use the clutch to release it for huge obstacles? Curious thoughts.

This MXer has been compared to a CR250.

Based on the SM video on the site, I think they have a LONG, LONG way to go before it gets compared to a CR250 :) The big bikes were going by in on the back straight like it was chained to a post :(

I actually think the trials is probably the most reasonable competition application.

Pretty cool none the less.

The Denali guys brought a trailer full of these bikes out to El Trial a few years back and, I'm not positive, but I seem to remember Geoff putting the bike to the test in a fashion that only he can. They seemed to do alright, not competition for the upper class but then again not to far away. Pretty cool concept.