Ty250r Rear Shock

dougalthedog

I need to remove the spring from my rear shock - TY250R Mono (the one with the remote reservoir).

The spring can only move an inch or so up the body when the collar is removed due to the lug for the reservoir hose.

I assume the base of the shock must come apart somehow but cant see an obvious way to do it other than trying to clamp the damper rod and unscrew it, but theres hardly any room as the spring is in the way.

Anyone done this before ??

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

I'll expand a bit here so y'all know the why's and what for.

I recently gave my ty250r it's first wash in my ownership after riding it 4-5 times. I'd noticed a squeek from the backend and was thinking of dry linkages needing a re grease. What I found though was quite horrific, (gotta love secondhand old bikes) the rear spring had snapped near the top and had previously been welded :blink: I have a suitable looking replacement (not really wanting to redo the weld tbh) and just need to get that shock apart to fit it. Any help much appreciated, this is the only thing stopping me being out on the bike.

I spoke to my local trials guru today and was told that these shocks are *untakeapartable*. This seems a bit strange as they 'look' like quite an advanced unit what with the remote resi and range of adjustment.

Oh well, none on ebay at the mo and I want to ride it tomorrow so am in the process of modding a Yamaha TTR shock which is now fitted and just needs pre loading up to suit.

*non word alert