Montesa 247 Dumb Questions

mrpj6

Hi. I have got a few, what i think are probably stupid questions. I am trying to give a 1974 cota a tidy up. It has had a hard life by the looks of it. And i think some alien parts have been added over the years. It has a steel chromed front wheel, I take it this is wrong? also black powder coated handlebars with a fixed cross bar, wrong again? I would also like to know. What are the two holes for in the right leg of the rear swinging arm for? I see in old photos, that they have a plastic bung in one like an oil filler cap? also in old photos i see some bikes with one rear shock upside down. Is this right? The clutch cover has a removable compartment at the rear that has the letter A of montesa on it. What is this for?Lastly, one of the engine mounts has what looks like a lug for a cable to go through, I can only think this is for the decompressor? If it is what route does it take to get there? Like i said all probably daft stuff, but if any one could help it would help a lot

Thanks...... Pete.

Hi Pete, the joys of owning a Montesa hey!

The front wheel should be an alloy one. The handlebars are also wrong. No cross bar for that model. The holes in the swingarm are for a chain oiler and the shocks should not be upside down. Now to the thing that confuses me. If you say that the bike is a 1974 model then someone has but the wrong motor on that bike. Both my 247's have a solid covers on the clutch side. That small removable compartment you have mentioned with the letter A on it was actually the cover for the autolube which they did away with and went to premix. The company was obviously trying to save some money and used engines used on other models. My 348 has the same thing. The small lug on the engine mount also confuses me. If can't be for a decompressor. The cable for that goes from the trigger on the handlebars to the head. If the engine and frame numbers match it is not a 74 model. It may help if you can post a picture of the bike to see what is going on. Manuel

Manuel, your a star! loads of things sorted there. I have found out the front wheel is from some old British trials bike the brake hub has R.E.H. on it? I think i have located one for mine but it has no brake hub in it. The engine/frame numbers are the same I think, but i will check later.

Chain oiler? Wow bit over the top for the 70s but i see why it has an oil cap on it now. I will track down some Akront bars now if it kills me! and be glad to sling those plastic covered things out.

I will get some pictures if i can sort it out. The bike is in bits at the moment so not much to see. As always wise after the event. I should have taken the before picture so i could see if my hard work was all worth it in the end!

As for that lug under the engine mount..... think that may just have to remain a mystery.

Thanks again Manuel.

Pete.

The engine and frame numbers are the same, so i would think the engine and frame started life together. The clutch case is badly damaged and filled with epoxy filler, this was then painted black as was the rest of the engine. The smaller A cover was not on the bike. I have now ordered two used covers of the same type, so if it is a mongrel its going to stay one for the foreseeable future. The covers that are on it look to line up well, and there are no extra holes or odd gaps. Looks like the exact year of the bike may not become clear.

I will need some help in the future with how the front brake works, as the steel wheel that is on there now has a brake hub with the cable casing coming in to it and the cable running from the stop on the hub to the operating lever. I understand from photos that the proper way for the brake to work is for the cable casing to stop in some sort of lug attached to the fork leg and the cable to continue down the leg to the operating lever. There is no lug on the fork leg at present and i have no idea what this would fix to or what it looks like?

Hi David and Pete

I was thinking about the same thing today. Pete, if the engine and frame numbers match then it can't be a 74 model from the engine you have described. If both covers have a big M on them at the front of the motor your bike could be a 77 or 78 model. A picture would be nice to sort all this out but I wish you luck as I have never been successful in posting any photos on this forum. Manuel

Why are you so sure it is a 1974 model? It sounds like an Ulf Karlsson model to me. That would line up with how you have described it so far.

I am not at all sure its a 74 model I have gleaned all my knowledge from pictures on the Internet and cotas for sale on ebay. As the side stand is on the left side,you nearly always get a good shot of the right side, and not much of the other side with the two piece clutch cover or not as the case may be. To be totally honest with my 2+2= 22 logic i thought as the frame/engine number had a 19 some 4s and a7 in it, simple! its a 1974 model...... Not so, by the sound of it. Looks like i have jumped the gun again...... Pete.

Hi David and Pete

I was thinking about the same thing today. Pete, if the engine and frame numbers match then it can't be a 74 model from the engine you have described. If both covers have a big M on them at the front of the motor your bike could be a 77 or 78 model. A picture would be nice to sort all this out but I wish you luck as I have never been successful in posting any photos on this forum. Manuel

Ye, the numbers are the same, the one on the frame is on the tube the bearings go in for the forks and is not too clear but it does match the engine. The covers on both sides have a large M then montesa in smaller letters, and as i have said the small A is on the separate cover. You are right Manuel pictures are beyond me, i tried last night! i was worried you were going to get all my holiday snaps at one point! but ended up with nothing being sent in the end. I did try to email you. But that didnt work either! Is it me?!!!

On the bright side, i think i have worked out the front brake. As i have been offered a cable. It all became clear as the bit that fits to the fork leg came with the cable, So that sorted that out. THanks Pete.

Hi Pete

Glad you sorted your front wheel problem out. One of the 247's I have also came with a steel front wheel and for the life of me could not get the original alloy one anywhere in Australia so I improvised and fitted complete forks (35mm same as Honda xl250 trail bike) and Honda alloy rim from the same bike to the Montesa. Travel is slightly more than original and the front brake is about twice the size of the original. A bit of welding here and there and works fine. Just something to remember if you you ever get stuck. Give me your email address and I will send some pics of the bikes I have. See ya Manuel

I am slowly getting the bits i need together so i will soon be able to start rebuilding the frame and forks etc. I managed to get hold of a alloy front wheel minus brake hub, but that will come in time i am sure. I am not looking for a concourse bike. But i would like it as original as possible. I think i will get it up together and running with the engine as it is. It was not running that well but i fancy getting out on it again and trying to source as many engine/carb parts as i can and work on that at a later date. I think that may prove difficult, as it looks like pistons and rings etc are pretty much not out there. I have noted on this site that Bultaco pistons have been suggested? Some say it works others that its not a good idea. Not too sure what to do there, shame to have it all looking good and the engine like a bag of nails! PS. Manuel.I have sent you a PM with my email address hope you can send some pictures

Thanks Pete.