Clutch Noise

supermotodaz

Seen a few make a noise because of a slight dent on the clutch cover, would make more noise if you lent the bike that way, check cover for slight rubbing marks, if it has them put the cover on a good cloth and give it a tap with an hammer.

Seen a few make a noise because of a slight dent on the clutch cover, would make more noise if you lent the bike that way, check cover for slight rubbing marks, if it has them put the cover on a good cloth and give it a tap with an hammer.

Hi

Thanks for the advice but definatley not that simple I afraid although I wish it was.

I had another look at this bike today, the hard bit was getting to it at the back of the workshop, after all these months of it standing there it started second kick on crappy fuel, unfortunatley the noise is still there i wasn,t that lucky.

I tried what you sugested on another thread , started it up , had bike on a stand in gear and held on rear brake while feeding in the clutch and the whine came in as soon as the clutch started to bite.

I rode it round the garden for a bit and the whine is constant until you pull in the clutch, sounds really nice for an old bike until its under load.

This certainly is an indication, exactly of what sort I am not sure other than the load imposed in the drive side main bearing under load, as the transmission is not turning!

There was an odd bike once that was ridden by Curt Comer, former US champ rider. It had an odd excessive whine noise under load, and the lads messed with it for quite a while out on the field and never got it.

You might get on te RYPUSA website and or send a email to Ryan Young and ask if he recalls the fix to that bike of Curt's.

:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

if you manage to get to the bottom of this problem, please let me know. my mates got a 2002 290 which does the exact same thing. ratlles when the bikes upright, gets worse if you lean it over to the right and ? goes away almost if you lean the bike over to the left....... ????

pulling clutch in and out makes no differance...

his was fine and made no noise untill he attempted to bleed the clutch up. same as you, he's swapped a load of different bearing etc...

my thoughts were towards the ballbearing at the end of the push rod... i believe if the rods is removed ,after a while wear to the end of the rod is created and a concaved dent is formed...this can create a tiny amount of play between rod and ball bearing... im told turning the push rods round the other way may works.....IF this is the problem......

as you say though, nothings ever that simple.....

let me know how you get on please....

if you manage to get to the bottom of this problem, please let me know. my mates got a 2002 290 which does the exact same thing. ratlles when the bikes upright, gets worse if you lean it over to the right and ? goes away almost if you lean the bike over to the left....... ????

pulling clutch in and out makes no differance...

his was fine and made no noise untill he attempted to bleed the clutch up. same as you, he's swapped a load of different bearing etc...

my thoughts were towards the ballbearing at the end of the push rod... i believe if the rods is removed ,after a while wear to the end of the rod is created and a concaved dent is formed...this can create a tiny amount of play between rod and ball bearing... im told turning the push rods round the other way may works.....IF this is the problem......

as you say though, nothings ever that simple.....

let me know how you get on please....

This is not the same thing as I understand! His seems to have a whine under load. Yours seema to rattle when tilt! There was some issue with kickstart gears in this year range as I recall. I had one in '03 i think. :rolleyes:

ps- does noise change if you slightly move the kicker lever?

Edited by copemech

well spotted copemech...:) yes two different sound i guess....

we suspeted the kick mech parts and i think he replaced a bearing relating to the large kick gear... ?

i will try moving the kick lever when its running to see if that affects the rattle..... and report back. we did try taking the kick lever off when it was running but obviously, doing that wouldnt do anything other then remove it,,, ill try moving it round whilst its knocking....

thanks cope