Help With My Honda Reflex

hoffa509

I recently bought a 1987 Honda Reflex. It is in decent shape with a box containing all the lights and parts. One of the reasons I got it is so my short wife can have a dual sport. All of the current dual sports are too tall for her. This hides the fact that I bought myself a new bike. I am registering it in TN and will bring it back to street legal status while leaving its focus on trials practice (I do not plan to compete any time soon). One of the POs removed the battery so it is running straight off the coil. The headlight does not work (I have not dived very deep into it but a multimeter at the leads does not register anything) and I think it shocked me a couple times on my last ride. The horn does work. I want to improve it but not spend a ton of money. If I start really enjoying it, I will spend money on a more modern trials bike.

A couple questions:

- Can I get a reliable headlight and brake light to work off just the coil? What about blinkers with relay (blinkers are optional in Va. but my wife is not used to hand signaling)?

- If I do install a battery, for a bike without electric start it seems that a very small battery could serve well without going with the heavy stocker. I would rather not buy one of the new $150 sport bike lightweight batteries. Any suggestions?

- It currently has an 11/50 sprocket set. I want to get a 10 tooth front from BJ racing. For the days my wife rides, I will put on the 13 tooth that came with it.

- What from springs are available or what are good ideas. I might go with BJs rear shocks which seem expensive for a bike I paid $900. I will set the suspension up for my weight. I will make my wife ride with scrap metal and a sandbag in a backpack to compensate for her small frame.

- Any suggestions would be appreciated

If I remember correctly for the head light to function properly it needs a good battery. Also I do know that the blinkers act really odd with a bad battery hooked up.

When I had mine street legal top speed was 50 mph unless I was going down hill with the wind pushing me then I think I got up to 52mph :D

Also if you will be practicing trials with it you may want a proper skid plate instead of that piece of tin that comes stock. I am planning on getting the one from B&J for mine.

Do you have a wiring diagram? If not, I may be able to copy from a Clymer manual. I believe power for ignitition and power for lights come from totally different charging coils under the flywheel. It will be AC at that point. You should be able to run the lights on AC as long as you have a voltage regulator ($15 after market) I ran a DT175 like that. The bike should light the lights without a battery but they may be dim at idle.

I can ride trials with 9/44 gearing but a little lower would help. At 155 lbs, the shock springs seem OK to me but the fork springs were pitifully soft. You can cut them shorter to make them stiffer.