Motor Changes Through The Years?

mcman56

For CA registration purposes, I'm wondering if I can upgrade a 2002 to newer model standards. I could buy a newer bike and swap out everything but the steering neck and engine cases. With cutting and welding, steering necks could be exchanged between bikes. However, I understand that the cylinder changed at some point and the cases changed to accommodate. Does anyone know when this change happened and if it could be worked around? Would there be much difference moving up to an 07 thru 09? I have not ridden one. The 02 is OK except for the big gap between 3rd & 4th gears along with the lack of a cartridge fork. High speed hits on the trail spike right up to the handlebars.

Edited by mcman56

I am confused about what you want to accomplish? Do you need to register an off-road bike in California in order to own or ride a bike in CA? Do the newer engines from Sherco or any other trials bike manufacturer comply with the engine pollution requirements in California? What is special about the steering head that makes you want to keep it and the engine case (Serial number)? How does keeping the old serial numbers while updating everything else help you? Is there a way that older bikes don't have to comply with requlations.....while newer bikes would?

All years of Sherco trials bikes will have a big jump between 3rd and 4th gear.......1st,2nd & 3rd gears are for doing slow work - and 4th and 5th are for use when riding between sections. I am not sure if the other bike manufacturers space the gear ratios similarly.

I think I understand what he is getting at. Wanto to upgrade the bike yet stay with his original VIN!

Answer: No. Not practical.

Things did not change much till '06, find a good later model if you need, otherwise the '02 still works fine in most cases.

:lol:

California is a long story,, but if this is something you want to do, one thing to consider is new replacement frames come with no VIN#, so if you put your '02 motor in a new 2010 frame as far as Ca. is concerned it would still be your '02. You should also be able to stamp your '02 VIN# on the new frame and still be legal.

As for your question, I'm not sure if a newer '08-'09 top end would go on your '02 bottom end.

BTW-I have an '08 with a new no VIN# frame!

California requires registration to ride off road vehicles on public land. Bikes manufactured after 2002 have to go though some type of EPA "qualification" to be issued a registration with no restrictions. To my knowledge, none of the trials bikes have gone through that qualification. Some would most likely pass but it is probably not worth the manufacturers effort. So, bikes 2003 and newer are issued a limited (red) registration. Basically they can not be ridden in certain areas during summer (high pollution) months.

Edited by mcman56