Ariel HT3

davetom

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, there were 66 HT3's made 2 of which were works bikes according to the Ariel Owners Club. There are 29 still on their register. I own one (photos in the TC garage). The reason there were so few made is because they were exactly the same price as the HT5 so why would you but the 350 when you could have the 500?

Hi Guy's

66 is the right number.

When I did my apprenticeship a long time ago, One of the guy's at work had a brand new HT3. In-fact all the guy's bar one had four stroke trials bikes and this is how I got into the game originally. If you started work at Youngs Garage in Banbury on the agricultural side, you ended up riding a trials bike. There was more work done on these bikes, than there was working on tractors. Happy Days.

Anyway back to the plot, Roy Steel's Ariel HT3 was used on most practise sesions, So I got to ride it quite a lot. He got criticized for not buying a HT5 for as has been said there was not that much difference in the price. Roy always said he had made the right choice, and it is not until now owning a few HT5's that I think he was right, because the power was always that bit softer, and I think found more grip.

If Sam had have rode one,there would have been a lot more sold. Incidentally the HT 3 had the single sided 7inch front BSA type brake fitted as standard.

Regards Charlie.