bleeding front brake

dye29

hy i recently posted problem about putting new seals and pistons in front ajp brake well ive finally done it i used fairy liquid as lube but i think it mite of made it worse as it wont bleed now,everything is sealed ok just wont bleed could the fairy be creating air bubbles , does anyone have any good ideas to bleed brake regards ste

not sure if it was "your" forum item (last week somebody had same problem) but I think one of the reasons for using brake fluid is that in the process of fitting the new seals/pistons you prime the void behind it with brake fluid. I would have thought that so long as you are pushing fluid into this space ( in this case the front brake calliper) and it can come out again;.. i.e in the hose hole and out of the bleed nipple or vice/versa, it would bleed/fill up solid with fluid. I cant imagine a bit of washing up liquid being a serious problem to achieve this ( i.e ;.. I reckon you need to get the calliper primed /full of fluid before final bleeding), sorry to witter on but it's a tricky thing to write down.

not sure if it was "your" forum item (last week somebody had same problem) but I think one of the reasons for using brake fluid is that in the process of fitting the new seals/pistons you prime the void behind it with brake fluid. I would have thought that so long as you are pushing fluid into this space ( in this case the front brake calliper) and it can come out again;.. i.e in the hose hole and out of the bleed nipple or vice/versa, it would bleed/fill up solid with fluid. I cant imagine a bit of washing up liquid being a serious problem to achieve this ( i.e ;.. I reckon you need to get the calliper primed /full of fluid before final bleeding), sorry to witter on but it's a tricky thing to write down.

sorry to be a pain can you describe step by step how i should do it ive tryed it that many times and different ways regards ste

It's not a job I do every day but have you tried the following; a syringe and rubber tube to fit over the bleed nipple, make sure you have the pistons out as far as possible so that you can get as much fluid in as possible, with the caliper "on the bench" with the inlet hole for brake hose at highest point use syringe pump in via opened bleed nipple until fluid comes out ofhose hole, close nipple , disconnect syringe. Then mount it or bring master cylinder & hose to it and connect up. If you now have to push the pistons back in to get it and the pads over the disc you will be pushing solid column of fluid up the hose, resume the "pressure" by pushing fluid in via bleed nipple untill you have solid fluid coming out into the master cylinder resevoir, be sure the piston in the master cylinder is right back before you do this. When you get solid column you can "bleed/tweak" master cylinder by just lightly flicking the lever not pulling it right in yet;..normally you will see some bubbles in the resevoir as you do this, you should then be able to pump the brake lever to bring the pistons /pads to work on the disc. I hope you get it going and that somebody with other experiences comes on to offer you help... (because if this doesn't do it I'm stumped)....good luck

It's not a job I do every day but have you tried the following; a syringe and rubber tube to fit over the bleed nipple, make sure you have the pistons out as far as possible so that you can get as much fluid in as possible, with the caliper "on the bench" with the inlet hole for brake hose at highest point use syringe pump in via opened bleed nipple until fluid comes out ofhose hole, close nipple , disconnect syringe. Then mount it or bring master cylinder & hose to it and connect up. If you now have to push the pistons back in to get it and the pads over the disc you will be pushing solid column of fluid up the hose, resume the "pressure" by pushing fluid in via bleed nipple untill you have solid fluid coming out into the master cylinder resevoir, be sure the piston in the master cylinder is right back before you do this. When you get solid column you can "bleed/tweak" master cylinder by just lightly flicking the lever not pulling it right in yet;..normally you will see some bubbles in the resevoir as you do this, you should then be able to pump the brake lever to bring the pistons /pads to work on the disc. I hope you get it going and that somebody with other experiences comes on to offer you help... (because if this doesn't do it I'm stumped)....good luck

thanks very much glad your here to help, i was goin to invest in one of those brake bleeders on ebay that connects to compressor and sucks the fluid out of the bleed nipple have you heard anything about these, regards ste

Edited by dye29

i never use any thing to bleep my front brake i dont even touch the bleed nipple. i take the top off the resivoir then i losein the piston off from the lever and pump it and shake the pipe a little till all the air has bubbled shake out of the master cylander.