ACU Helmet Transfer

monty_jon

As far as I can recall the rules only require that the helmet must be approved for road use, regardless of whether roadwork is involved or not, which effectively rules out some of what I see people wearing (eg skatepark helmets etc and indeed some so-called trials helmets I have looked at).

No great problem until the inevitable run in with the insurance people should an injury be sustained.

As far as I can recall the rules only require that the helmet must be approved for road use, regardless of whether roadwork is involved or not, which effectively rules out some of what I see people wearing (eg skatepark helmets etc and indeed some so-called trials helmets I have looked at).

No great problem until the inevitable run in with the insurance people should an injury be sustained.

To ride in a road trial and comply with the law, the helmet (and goggles if used)must be road legal. The ACU handbook simply states that a motorcycle helmet must be worn. I have no idea what the legal definition of a motorcycle helmet would be, but I guess being road legal wouldn't come into it if the course was all off road.

I will check the formal publications when I get home but I run under SACU rules (they send us the ACU rules as they have adopted them) and the SACU website says with reference to trials "Helmets, which must be in compliance with the Road Traffic Act, must be worn by riders at all times when riding the machine". I can't see why they would meddle with ACU rules on this point.

Well I've checked and, interestingly enough, the only definitions of helmets in the ACU rules pertain to speed sports.

For trials the requirement is, as said above, a completely undefined "motorcycle helmet". If someone sells me a bicycle helmet with a "motorcycle helmet" label on it does that make it a motorcyle helmet as far as the ACU is concerned? Cue argument with scrutineer.

It looks like the SACU has been farseeing and has nailed things down to prevent any legal problems.