Finding grip on a 247

charliechitlins

Is it possible that the grip on modern trials bikes is wildly superior to my 247?

I'm WAY out of practice, and was never too good to begin with....but this 247 has a brand new pair of Dunlops and I was slipping ALL OVER...in every situation...going across gentle hillsides the front tire was washing out...everything.

Was my Sherco really THAT much better?

It shouldn't be THAT horrible, but they definitely force you to use proper technique. Also, set up helps, tip your bars forward a bit, forks on these are nice but make sure the forks have the right weight oil in them (feel compliant but don't bottom or top out very much) get the best rear shocks money can buy, set tire pressures to 5.5 F / 5.0 R. Play with weight distribution (yourself over the bike), it's critical. I sold my 247 because I couldn't find enough rear grip when I needed it. My Cota 200 was just so much better. My Fantic 240 is better than that now too.

Alot of variables here but I might think it could be a set-up issue. I have both a 72 247 and a 74 and they both stick well. The 74 has new Dunlops front and rear and I like them with about 4.5lbs in the front and about 5.5 or 6lbs in the rear. The 72 has a little longer shocks than stock and it handles a bit quicker but the front sticks better than the 74. The 72 has some older IRCs that are cracked but they still work ok for me. Let us know what you discover...

Sam

never had that problem on my 247, the dunlops have a pretty stiff sidewall, a little less air pressure required in my oppinion, also when my dunlops were new the seemed a bit slick, took a little while to get them to break in and softem up,

I would be using 3.5 in the back 6 or 7 in the front