Ty250 Mono

g4321

Simple question for you knowledgeable Yamaha Guys.

Am I correct in thinking that the later model aircooled TY250' Yamahas had disk brake front ends?

I know there was a Talon conversion available for earlier ones.

What diameter are the forks on these bikes?

Are they any good (the forks & brakes not the bikes)?

and finally if someione is feeling very kind what is the length of the forks?

You're right. It was the model referred to as the pinky that had the Yamaha disk as standard, available from about '90 or 91. Talon, Gateway and Shirty all did disk conversions for the earlier bikes but none were much good really. The Yamaha set up was much better. Could well be the same wheel/disk/caliper set up as the TYZ but not too sure on this.

TY Mono front forks work superbly giving nice plush compression and rebound damping. As good as anything else availabe at the time and still good by today's standards as modern forks tend to have a lot of bounce in them rather than a slower, plush action.

I have a pair of mono forks so I'll measure their length tomorrow. Diameter is 34mm I think but I'll double check that too.

Could well be the same wheel/disk/caliper set up as the TYZ but not too sure on this.

TY250Z forks (45mm) are much larger diameter than pinky forks and have cartridge damping.

TY250Z front wheel and brake caliper are interchangable with TY250R (pinky).

TY250Z and TY250R front ends would be very difficult to find as the bikes are very long lasting and have remained popular.

Honda RS, you stated that Pinky forks are 35mm diameter. Can you confirm that this size is correct?

I may have the chance of the complete front end locally for very reasonable price - nothing definite yet unfortunately but its better to go armed with the facts when you go to view!

thanks

Gordon

Edited by g4321

HondaRS & Woody - just saw your reply!

Had a look at bike today & can confirm that 'pinky' disk brake forks are 35mm while earlier bike which a friend has are 36mm diameter.

In addition the forks are different in appearance - the older bike has a more rounded slider while the pinky is a 'squared off oval' appearance. The yam forks seem to be a bit shorter than the TLR forks (need to measure TLR properly first) but have to wait on a phone call from owner whether or not they are available - his mate who showed me the bike says they are (fingers crossed - I might yet move into the era of disk brakes and mono shock bikes in the same year!)

Gordon

Edited by g4321

Just measured my non-pinky TY Mono forks with the vernier and they measure 36mm immediately above and below bottom yoke, 36mm immediately below top yolk and also midway between the dust seal and bottom yolk. For some reason, at the mid point between the top and bottom yoke they are 35mm - can't explain that.

Length from middle of spindle to top of stanchion is 75cm give or take a couple as I was stretching to reach the bike.

If you are stuck for a front end try Ellastone off-road breakers as they have broken a few monos with and without disks

Edited by Woody

I tried the same route for a long time, looking at forks, and entire front end, but even if the forks or tubes fit, the geometry is all goofy because of lower axle offset not matching.

finally, on a coincidence with some spare parts, I realized a modern front wheel fits easily. I used a 2000 GasGas wheel, master, and 4 piston caliper.

Far better than any of the older kits, and not bad to do. Awesome change inthe bike. Now if it could just shed 30 lbs.

Search through the past posts for more info and some pics, or advise q's.

kcj