sherco 290

mattsherco290

hello there . right then i have a sherco 290 2000 model bought as project got told needed rebuild . ive stripped it down now and all bearings need replacing i can get get all of them exept the big end bearings . i have to buy conrod kit apparently to get them but i dont want to spend this sort of money lol at the moment im hoping the crankshaft pin isd fine . so i want to split the crank measure bearings and match them up . copuld i do this i need help thanks matt

yer minimal movement up and down and slihtly side to side . bearings are goosed lol do you know any cheap kits ? cheers ive sent crank away to get looked at gettin it reconditioned cheers

No cheap kits, bite the bullet on this! If it is done it is doone. Should always be some side to side, btw. Most cycle shope can press and true the crank, I done tons back in the day. Nothing too special here for a good tech.

No cheap kits, bite the bullet on this! If it is done it is doone. Should always be some side to side, btw. Most cycle shope can press and true the crank, I done tons back in the day. Nothing too special here for a good tech.

hi mate yeah whats the rough cost of it now anyway mate ?? just incase they try con me haha and whats the best stuff to use to clean the engine and what are sherco like for riding power wise ? im new to it hah

hi mate yeah whats the rough cost of it now anyway mate ?? just incase they try con me haha and whats the best stuff to use to clean the engine and what are sherco like for riding power wise ? im new to it hah

Best I recall, we would charge for one hour's labor at the prevailing rate to press a crank.

Mineral spirits paint thinner(for oil based paint) is probably your best cleaner, then a blow dry. Anything too strong like laquer thinner will take the paint off the cases.

Best I recall, we would charge for one hour's labor at the prevailing rate to press a crank.

Mineral spirits paint thinner(for oil based paint) is probably your best cleaner, then a blow dry. Anything too strong like laquer thinner will take the paint off the cases.

okay buddy thaanks , any help on rebuilding my engine now i need to find out torque settings and everything else to put it back together thanks mate help would be great ta matt

If I had to give tips to anyone on these motors, they would be:

Scribe the shaft and nuts on the therr major components, Flywheel, Primary drive geer, and Clutch hub prior to disassembly. This makes it easy to bring them back up to original or ever so slightly beyond position and torque using a rattle gun for quick assembly. Without, one would need a flywheel holder and clutch holder to apply proper torque. Most critical being the clutch hub, which is less and will strip.

Go back with the Viton main seals from Splatshop, as compared to the standard nitrile.

Be sure you keep all your little washers in proper relation.

:rolleyes:

If I had to give tips to anyone on these motors, they would be:

Scribe the shaft and nuts on the therr major components, Flywheel, Primary drive geer, and Clutch hub prior to disassembly. This makes it easy to bring them back up to original or ever so slightly beyond position and torque using a rattle gun for quick assembly. Without, one would need a flywheel holder and clutch holder to apply proper torque. Most critical being the clutch hub, which is less and will strip.

Go back with the Viton main seals from Splatshop, as compared to the standard nitrile.

Be sure you keep all your little washers in proper relation.

:rolleyes:

okay thanks buddy . can anyone help me i want a full gasket set for sherco 290 2000 model ive found 1 for 38 pounds . is that cheap what would you say trial riders

?>

okay thanks buddy . can anyone help me i want a full gasket set for sherco 290 2000 model ive found 1 for 38 pounds . is that cheap what would you say trial riders

?>

Could be, all depends upon what's in it! Once again, might call someone like Chris at Splatshop to compare.

Some gaskets you may not need, depending?

Could be, all depends upon what's in it! Once again, might call someone like Chris at Splatshop to compare.

Some gaskets you may not need, depending?

hey there right alpha bearings have got my crank , i need a conrod kit unless i get recondition crank from somewhere if its possibly cheaper ?? any help ?