Beta 200 06

fatbastard

I was looking at getting a Beta Rev 3 200cc 2006 as my first bike, and I was hoping for my 14 year old son to have a play on it aswell. My son can already ride bikes but we are both new to trials.I first thought this would be an ideal bike.

2 People I have mentioned this bike to have both said any bike but a Beta , electrical problems ,always brake down , don't do it. I've spoke to a couple of dealers and there all for them. Saying you get bad bikes no mater what make if they havn't been maintained properly.

Any advice would really be appreciated :thumbup:

I was looking at getting a Beta Rev 3 200cc 2006 as my first bike, and I was hoping for my 14 year old son to have a play on it aswell. My son can already ride bikes but we are both new to trials.I first thought this would be an ideal bike.

2 People I have mentioned this bike to have both said any bike but a Beta , electrical problems ,always brake down , don't do it. I've spoke to a couple of dealers and there all for them. Saying you get bad bikes no mater what make if they havn't been maintained properly.

Any advice would really be appreciated :thumbup:

The main issue with Beta's are the stators going, oddly enough the 200 seems less prone to this than the 250. Granted that may be because there are less of them perhaps?

I had a new 250 and my lad had a new 200 back in 2004, the bigger bike had two stators go, the smaller bike never once missed a beat and was well up to the job. In-fact, for the type of wet, muddy trials we ride in this area, the 200 is probably better than the 250!

Apart from the electrics, I believe the Rev3 is one of the best bikes of it's time for build quality. That said, the 250's stator issue put me off buying Beta ever since.

I have just sold my 06 Rev3 200. Having owned it for around 12 months.

Firstly, the bike never let me down electrically.

Yes I have heard of stator failure - my take on this is water ingress as a possible cause - through the wire inlet and cover seat face. A proper silicone job soon fixes this. - BUT ALL bikes out there have their perculier faults remember!

The only drama I had was the water pump side casing corroding through - due to the Mag alloy used upto 06 (I think) fixed now by using straight alloy which doesnt react with coolant which has 'gone off' - if not changed every 3 months or so (damage done before my ownership!)

I am a Design / development engineer as part of my job, and I can honestly say the the quality and finish of the Beta is as good as anything out there - they are a good strong bike.

Spares are readily avaliable should you break anything.

They are great to ride and are very forgiving, they are not harsh on tyres or fuel either. They will get you up anything, I weigh 14 stone and mine never baulked. In short excellent for a clubman.

Would I recommend one - YES but your son at 14 wont be able to ride a 200 in a Club trial till he's 18 I understand, he should have a 125 till then.

I have sold the 200 for a new Beta 250 Evo 4t (four stroke).

I've owned mine for 3 years and it's been one of the best bikes I've ever owned. They are a terrific beginner/novice bike and the power is really spot on until you start doing the bigger obstacles that require more umph. Mine has been very reliable and I'd highly recommend the bike. :thumbup:

I have just sold my 06 Rev3 200. Having owned it for around 12 months.

Firstly, the bike never let me down electrically.

Yes I have heard of stator failure - my take on this is water ingress as a possible cause - through the wire inlet and cover seat face. A proper silicone job soon fixes this. - BUT ALL bikes out there have their perculier faults remember!

They are great to ride and are very forgiving, they are not harsh on tyres or fuel either. They will get you up anything, I weigh 14 stone and mine never baulked. In short excellent for a clubman.

Would I recommend one - YES but your son at 14 wont be able to ride a 200 in a Club trial till he's 18 I understand, he should have a 125 till then.

I have sold the 200 for a new Beta 250 Evo 4t (four stroke).

Very good advice Scoobydo. I am 13 stone and I canhonestly say the 200 my lad had back in 2004 would have done anything I could have done on the 250.. and probably more if I was being honest.

One point of note, ACU age groups do allow riders to sign on as an adult and ride bigger bikes from their 16th Birthday. Although riders under 18 must have a parent/guardian to sign them on even if they are riding as an adult.

Between 16 and 17, youth riders can swop and change from either, but if they ride as a youth than they must be on a 125. Ride as an adult and there is no capacity restriction. I don't know if the SACU have the same ruling?

Pete

One point of note, ACU age groups do allow riders to sign on as an adult and ride bigger bikes from their 16th Birthday. Although riders under 18 must have a parent/guardian to sign them on even if they are riding as an adult.

Between 16 and 17, youth riders can swop and change from either, but if they ride as a youth than they must be on a 125. Ride as an adult and there is no capacity restriction. I don't know if the SACU have the same ruling?

Pete

I didn't know about the age restriction so thats a pity. But if he has a go and the bug bites then getting him a 125cc is an option. But I really would like to see him liking the sport rather than me trying to talk him in to it.

Once bitten twice shy kind of thing (Motocross) he prefers playing on pit bikes.

Edited by fatbastard