More Clutch problems

hannu

Just purchase a 2010 290, well about three weeks ago really but never had the time to ride it. However I have started it up but cannot engage a gear without it stalling. I have changed all the oils and bled the clutch but it still stalls when the gear is engaged until the bike is up to full temp. Even then the clutch drags slightly. Any ideals ??

Just purchase a 2010 290, well about three weeks ago really but never had the time to ride it. However I have started it up but cannot engage a gear without it stalling. I have changed all the oils and bled the clutch but it still stalls when the gear is engaged until the bike is up to full temp. Even then the clutch drags slightly. Any ideals ??

might be worth stripping down to check the clutch plates etc, it may be in need of a new one..

This is indeed a normal occurance primarily due to the surface tension of the oil and the plates being pressed together while sitting.

It can vary a bit due to the type and freshness of the oil.

Easiest thing to do is to place the bike into gear 4 or 5, pull the lever in and rock the bike fore and aft a few times while sitting on it untill the plates break loose, then start the bike in neutral, let the bike run a bit to warm till choke off and normal running, pull in the lever again and give it a couple short revs, then proceed normally by placing into gear. This procedure also helps get some fuel vapor flowing (piston will travel) and actually help the motor start easier off cold.

ALWAYS be careful where you are pointed when placing into gear, reguardless!!!

Never trust them absolutly, as I have had them re stick!

Some have reported using ty-wraps and such to pin back the lever to the bar while the bike is stored, yet I am not totally sure that is all that good for the hydroulics. Whatever works for you.

Total solutions? I can state that mine has not stuck in over a year after doing the Dan Williams clutch mod(ala the Beta threads) which seem to use the same fibre plates best i can tell. All point being, I spent way too much time massaging these things by adding a small diagonal groove on each pad on both sides of each plate with a needle file. Requires a lot of beer and time! :thumbup:

:rolleyes:

Edited by copemech

This is indeed a normal occurance primarily due to the surface tension of the oil and the plates being pressed together while sitting.

It can vary a bit due to the type and freshness of the oil.

Easiest thing to do is to place the bike into gear 4 or 5, pull the lever in and rock the bike fore and aft a few times while sitting on it untill the plates break loose, then start the bike in neutral, let the bike run a bit to warm till choke off and normal running, pull in the lever again and give it a couple short revs, then proceed normally by placing into gear. This procedure also helps get some fuel vapor flowing (piston will travel) and actually help the motor start easier off cold.

ALWAYS be careful where you are pointed when placing into gear, reguardless!!!

Never trust them absolutly, as I have had them re stick!

Some have reported using ty-wraps and such to pin back the lever to the bar while the bike is stored, yet I am not totally sure that is all that good for the hydroulics. Whatever works for you.

Total solutions? I can state that mine has not stuck in over a year after doing the Dan Williams clutch mod(ala the Beta threads) which seem to use the same fibre plates best i can tell. All point being, I spent way too much time massaging these things by adding a small diagonal groove on each pad on both sides of each plate with a needle file. Requires a lot of beer and time! :thumbup:

:rolleyes:

Many thanks for your reply's, 1st day out today and the clutch worked fine following your advice,

Thanks again