No spark

tomhighcliffe

After having afew problems with the bike, I decided it was best to give the bike a quick overhaul replacing seals, bearings and other bits.

The rebuild has taken me around 3 weeks waiting for parts, and finding the spare time to go in the garage and build it back up. I havent taken the engine/gearbox apart, just the carb exhaust and airbox, as my mechanical knowledge is limited and it usually costs me money when I fiddle with things Im not sure about.

I have replaced the spark plug for a new iridium plug but now there is no spark. I originally thought it wouldnt start through lack of fuel in the system after all pipes being disconnected and the carb being taken off but then I removed the plug from the engine, then kicked the bike gently to inspect for a spark but no spark is there, even when putting the old plug back in that I know was working ok, there is no spark.

Is there any reason why that would be no spark after the bike sitting for 3-4weeks without use? I want to avoid checking things like the stator (i dont even know what this does) and before the rebuild, it was sparking and started first time

Any suggestions?

Tom

run through a wiring check, start at the ciol lage and small leads low-hih tension, then check earth mountings ensure they are clean and dry(rust free) plug cap, and finally the plug gap.

If this fails then it could be a look at the stator, all the best Des...

you might want to check your kill switch too, might be stuck on....

I gapped the plug to 0.6mm as it says in gasgas manual so that should be ok, the old plug was gapped at 0.7mm and still worked ok previously but now neither of them work.

I will go along and check the kill switch, and that I havent knocked or damaged and of the earths and wiring when reassembling though.

I just get annoyed that none of these problems occured before, and now after changing afew minor parts then new problems arise

Thanks for feedback

Tom

Electric problems are the worst i feel your pain mate, been there and had more than my fair share of those problems.

Do you own a digital multimeter or could borrow one and know how to use it, if so and you don't get no joy from doing a wiring check as stated by des let us know and we can run you through a few simple things to check with it.

Better still if you have a mate with the same model and same ignition (i'm assuming it's Kokusan) try swapping bits over.

It should hopefully be a simple fix though seeing as it was sparking before probably just something been disconnected during your overhaull and perhaps not noticed.

Fixed

Feel a little embarrased now, as it was such a simple thing, as you rightly suggested, the kill switch had either got stuck in or some part of the wires were shorting out as after i fiddled with the wire a little, it sparked first time.

Put the plug back in the bike and kicked it over many many times, but it finally started and now starts first or second kick as it used to.

All in all, very happy now, time to go and play on the ice

Thanks alot for the advice

Tom

Fixed

Feel a little embarrased now, as it was such a simple thing, as you rightly suggested, the kill switch had either got stuck in or some part of the wires were shorting out as after i fiddled with the wire a little, it sparked first time.

Put the plug back in the bike and kicked it over many many times, but it finally started and now starts first or second kick as it used to.

All in all, very happy now, time to go and play on the ice

Thanks alot for the advice

Tom

glad it was just as i thought nice and easy to sort out have fun..Des