247 Cota setup

jc2

Mine is geard down from stock with a 10 cs sprocket and a 56 rear. For me stock is too tall for competition. Just personal preferance but I installed a Domino slow throttle on my bike. I also put new Amal levers which work much better than what came on the bike. The only other thing I did was put a FMF universal spark arrestor on the exhaust for the spark arrestor feature. Gets pretty dry around here.... I am still running the stock shocks.

Sam

Before you change the carb make sure the exhaust is not plugged. They can get plugged with carbon over time and it can mess up the power. My 72 was almost completely closed off but still flowing and it made a huge differance when I cleaned out the muffler and mid pipe. It probably still won't be like your Sherco but may run cleaner. Also it may be time for a top end if it seems that weak. Both my 247s are good and strong off the bottom.

Sam

Yes it's difficult to measure when I have never ridden a Sherco. My 247 has always had the opposite problem ie: plenty of power down low but quite dead at the top. It pulls steep hills in 3rd gear that my TLR200 needs to use 1st gear for.

I have given up worrying about the top end on my Cota.

Check your timing you may be too advanced - is it difficult to start? My 247 starts first kick from cold but if I advance say 2 degrees it won't start without a weeks preparation.

Sam, how did you clean out the mid-section?

I basically used an old chain saw chain and ran it back and forth to break loose all the carbon for the mid pipe. I used a OXY ACC torch to heat the insides of the after muffler/ spark arrestor until the carbon was hot enough to flake off with a screwdriver. There was alot of carbon build up in both.

I didn't have the guts to take a torch to the mid pipe because I was afraid if I ruined it I wouldn't be able to find another. The torch method works well but makes alot of smoke... I did all this on my 72 which has a smaller stinger/exit pipe than the 74 has. I can't believe how much better the bike runs...

Sam

• 4 weeks later...