Montesa Cota id

hardassfunk

Picked up a Montesa yesterday as a project dont know alot about it,it was advertised as a Montesa 250 but he says it could be a 350.Came with a massive amount of spares such as wheels forks cases and what looks like a newer model engine? Any help in idenifying which model it is? Heres a few pics:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5761488&l=89c0322a9a&id=772753777

Picked up a Montesa yesterday as a project dont know alot about it,it was advertised as a Montesa 250 but he says it could be a 350.Came with a massive amount of spares such as wheels forks cases and what looks like a newer model engine? Any help in idenifying which model it is? Heres a few pics:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5761488&l=89c0322a9a&id=772753777

Gary

I could only find one very dark photo of the LH side of the top of the motor on FB. That photo looks like a Cota 348 motor (310cc and made from 1976 to 1978)

David

Hi think David is right but do you have an engine number as it could also be a 349 motor. Apart from the internals it is a very similar motor to the 348

349s have different side covers. The bike is a 247 from '74-'75 probably. I can narrow it down with a frame/engine number.

349s have different side covers. The bike is a 247 from '74-'75 probably. I can narrow it down with a frame/engine number.

Thanks for the replies I will get back with some better pictures,engine and frame numbers when i get the chance.Would the engines be interchangable? as the bottom end has gone on the engine fitted :(

Been out in my workshop today and did abit of work on the Montesa.Took the original engine out (no numbers apart from 86 86 on the rear engine mount)I fitted the spare engine 51M15210 the engine slotted in the original mounts so that could be a route I take.The frame number is 21M13371.In amongst the spares was a left hand engine crank case with the numbers 51H00047,looks as though the crank case covers to match this but no internals,other spares included were 3 sets of forks,Montesa 348 alloy tank and seat unit,smaller alloy tank,afew silencers,pair of wheel,swingarm,head identical to the one on 51M15210 and various other small bits and bobs.Now the problem I have with fitting the spare engine is I need to find the matching carb and exhaust so im thinking of selling the spare engine and rebuilding the original but that depends on what damage i find when i strip the engine.Hopefully heres some more pics:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=252562&id=772753777&l=55f08fac5a

The 247 is a '74, the 348 engine is a '78.

Did you notice that you can't fit the exhaust, or do you have the barrel on yet?

Just for comparison, that left-side case and cover are from a 349 engine.

Thanks alot for this info!! I did have a quick look today and fitting the 348 engine is a definate no due to the exhaust position as the frame would need modification.

On the up side I started stripping the original engine and im 99% sure that it can be rebuilt :D Do they usually have no engine numbers? I did find another number inside the sprocket cover 34.60.002W

Gary,

I'm from Carlisle and might know someone with some 247 spares that might help you .

It was the same style as yours with the clutch arm underneath - I have a later one 79 - that's got the clutch arm on top of the casing.

Give me a shout on 07801 447 616 and i'll give you his number

Cheers

Wobbler (Paul)

Stripped the engine down yesterday . . . top end seems fine P.I.T.A getting the recessed barrel nuts out! what type of tool usualy fits? I used a oversize Torx bit as they were rounded off! can new ones be bought? Looks like the only part of the engine that needs repairs is the con rod as the big end bearing is non existant.I've removed the pressure plate and friction plates but cant remove the clutch basket? maybe once i find my Puller set i should succeed.Where in the UK can i get the crank rebuilt?