TY 250 Mono Starting Problem - Advice Much Appreciated

ps1000

Hi I would really appreciate a few pointers to help me figure out what to try next

Got standard TY 250 Mono which was running fine (albeit it was always a bit hard to start from cold) It ran out of fuel and now I cant get a cheep out of it

I've stripped and cleaned all the carb jets a couple of times - all clear. Float etc all seems OK

Emptied the tank and put new fresh fuel in it (I've done this twice - the current fuel doesnt even have any 2 stroke to see if it helps starting

Fitted a new spark plug

Getting a consistent blue spark when kicking it over

Fuel is getting to the spark plug

Compression seems fine

Given that it was running fine I'm reluctant to start stripping it down any further

Just hoping another member may be able to suggest what I should try next

Any suggestions much appreciated

Pete

Gday, theres not much else to try, apart from checking the flywheel key hasn't sheared and moved the ignition timing. Probably worth a try. There is "wetness" on the plug after a few kicks so fuel system must be OK.

Good Luck,

Cheers,

Stork

Thanks Charlie Given that it always started and ran fine when it was warm does this still suggest it could be the crank seals? Have you replaced a set before..is it a big job or not too bad ? I'd hate to go to all the trouble of doing this only to find it wasn't needed. What about the reed valve. could this cause cold starting problems?

Couple of thoughts:

If the plug is wet then there is enough suction to pull gas into the cylinder - so the seals aren't completely shot. You could try spraying WD-40 behind the flywheel (trying to get it onto the seal). That might seal a leak enough for you to see if that is the problem. The clutch side usually has oil splashed up onto it anyway.

Definitely check the timing and for a sheared key.

Make sure you DON'T have the air cleaner connected - that would slow gas pulled into the cylinder.

Try a shot of ether (usually called starting fluid) directly into the cylinder.

If the engine starts with either pure gas or ether shut it off right away - you aren't giving it any lubrication.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with the problem.

Alan

Got standard TY 250 Mono which was running fine (albeit it was always a bit hard to start from cold) It ran out of fuel and now I cant get a cheep out of it

I've stripped and cleaned all the carb jets a couple of times - all clear. Float etc all seems OK

Emptied the tank and put new fresh fuel in it (I've done this twice - the current fuel doesnt even have any 2 stroke to see if it helps starting

Fitted a new spark plug

Getting a consistent blue spark when kicking it over

Fuel is getting to the spark plug

Compression seems fine

Pete,

Like they say, check the Woodruff key first. If the engine was under load when it ran out of fuel it experiences a quick over-lean condition, the combustion chamber temp spikes quickly and it may have pre-ignited or even detonated, which can loosen the hub/crank connection and cut the key. Any of us that have roadraced two-strokes that ran into fuel delivery problems are familiar with that big surge of power just before the engine sticks.

I'd check and clean all electrical connections, especially grounds as a marginal electrical system can produce a spark with the plug out but the spark will fail under compression pressure. The plug cap is often overlooked and often a problem in a bike this age. Kill switches are another item to look at.

I doubt that worn/frayed reeds would cause hard starting but should be checked anyway. They mainly affect low-speed performance issues.

I run NGK BPR6EIX plugs in my TY350s with good results.

Jon