04' 2.9 Airfilter

hilltopcycleatv

I just bought a 04' 2.9 and I am going though everything to get familiar with it .

I took off the gas tank and fender assy . I checked the antifreeze and it is ok .

I then took out the airfilter that looks like a curved wedge .

The air filter didn't have any oil on it , shouldn't you run airfilter oil on it ?

Is this the only filter or is this some type of pre filter ?

Thanks,

Raz

Thats the only filter, you're correct in thinking it should be oiled.

The shark fin filters are common to all shercos up to the latest models with the tank & airbox swapped around

Edited by tony27

Shark fin - better explanation thanks

Guess I had better oil it - just as I thought

Yes, and I will tell you now, make yourself a foam plug(closed cell that does not leak)to go in the air filter hole and plug it.

ANY TIME you wash the bike, or have been in muddy wet riding, pull the fender, pull the filter and inspect airbox and filter. Plug the hole(and exhaust)then wash away.

If you wash the bike, even with hose, you will wash water and dirt through the filter, engine is next, reguardless of lo area in airbox. Things go downhill from there.

Takes minutes to do it properly, you can pull fuel tank and block fuel line as well, depending upon condition, another 30 seconds.

But, when you go back, things are clean and inspected prior to next ride.!!!!

Yes, and I will tell you now, make yourself a foam plug(closed cell that does not leak)to go in the air filter hole and plug it.

ANY TIME you wash the bike, or have been in muddy wet riding, pull the fender, pull the filter and inspect airbox and filter. Plug the hole(and exhaust)then wash away.

If you wash the bike, even with hose, you will wash water and dirt through the filter, engine is next, reguardless of lo area in airbox. Things go downhill from there.

Takes minutes to do it properly, you can pull fuel tank and block fuel line as well, depending upon condition, another 30 seconds.

But, when you go back, things are clean and inspected prior to next ride.!!!!

Good advice. Thanks :thumbup:

?

Take a good look deep down in there!!! If there is anything laying in the bottom of the airbox, you need to get it out. Methods vary here. Minor, I will swab it out with a rod and towel tied on it, then go again with a clean one with a bit of carby cleaner on it to scour things.

Anything major, pull the airbox. 2 screws, one clamp, flush and dry.

Edited by copemech