Mornin' all (another new guy)

ow3nb1rd

Morning all, I've been reading various posts on here for a while now. I just got myself a pretty tired looking 2001 Sherco 290 as an introduction to trials and two stroke mechanics, and it would appear form threads I only just found that this is probably not the smarted bike to learn on. Still, that which doesn't kill us can only make us bruised and frustrated, right?

As a shortcut to not looking like a tool when I show up to my first meet, are there any spectacular "Hey guys, I'm an idiot" moves which I can avoid? Is there trials etiquette like the 'drop in' rule in surfing?

Looking forward to some banter and maybe burning some oil with you guys.

Owen

Morning all, I've been reading various posts on here for a while now. I just got myself a pretty tired looking 2001 Sherco 290 as an introduction to trials and two stroke mechanics, and it would appear form threads I only just found that this is probably not the smarted bike to learn on. Still, that which doesn't kill us can only make us bruised and frustrated, right?

As a shortcut to not looking like a tool when I show up to my first meet, are there any spectacular "Hey guys, I'm an idiot" moves which I can avoid? Is there trials etiquette like the 'drop in' rule in surfing?

Looking forward to some banter and maybe burning some oil with you guys.

Owen

Hi Owen, welcome to TC.

One piece of advice that would have helped me at my very first trial was to choose the club and the event carefully.

I turned up at a club that I later found out had a reputation (at the time) for putting on demanding trials. I thought riding the Easy route was going to be just that. Sadly it proved to be anything but easy for a complete novice, I lost 112 marks and only had one clean.

Talking to people after the trial, they suggested that I rode with another club the following week who had a name for putting on easy trials. Their easy route was just that and I lost 20 odd marks, had a number of cleans and felt a lot more encouraged.

All the best.

Pete

Hi Owen, welcome to TC.

One piece of advice that would have helped me at my very first trial was to choose the club and the event carefully.

I turned up at a club that I later found out had a reputation (at the time) for putting on demanding trials. I thought riding the Easy route was going to be just that. Sadly it proved to be anything but easy for a complete novice, I lost 112 marks and only had one clean.

Talking to people after the trial, they suggested that I rode with another club the following week who had a name for putting on easy trials. Their easy route was just that and I lost 20 odd marks, had a number of cleans and felt a lot more encouraged.

All the best.

Pete

Cheers, I hadn't thought of that at all. Not that I appear to have an awful lot of choice over in Bristol. I assumed there would be bazillions of clubs about (forest of dean, cotswolds, quantocks, mendips...) but I'm not finding an awful lot. Not many clubs seem to have got the hang of the internet just yet either!

i have an 02 Sherco 290 and love it, sure you need to treat it with respect but it can be as gentle as it is fierce, it's all down to getting to know it

there are ways to soften the engine a little i.e. thicker head gaskets or retarding the ignition which is well documented somewhere on a usa sherco site

ride to your ability and aim to improve each time rather than looking at what others do and don't be a fraid to ask questions even if you think they are stupid ones, better to ask a question you think is stupid than make stupid mistakes all the time

and enjoy it

tony

i have an 02 Sherco 290 and love it, sure you need to treat it with respect but it can be as gentle as it is fierce, it's all down to getting to know it

there are ways to soften the engine a little i.e. thicker head gaskets or retarding the ignition which is well documented somewhere on a usa sherco site

ride to your ability and aim to improve each time rather than looking at what others do and don't be a fraid to ask questions even if you think they are stupid ones, better to ask a question you think is stupid than make stupid mistakes all the time

and enjoy it

tony

Here's a stupid question for you - Will y our '02 mudguards fit on my '01 bike? The prices for bits of plastic are worse than on my sportsbike!

Welcome to TC!

Top tips for your first trial:

Get there early so you can sort yourself & your gear & entry out.

Tyres 4 PSI rear, 6 or 7 PSI front.

Drink plenty of fluids before & during the trial.

Watch the other riders through the sections carefully & try to copy them.

Don't be afraid to ask the observer for a 5 if you don't fancy tackling a hard section, no-one cares.

Don't give up even if you have lost hundreds of marks, enjoying yourself is the most important thing!!!

Come back here and tell us how you did :thumbup:

Welcome to TC!

Tyres 4 PSI rear, 6 or 7 PSI front.

Cheers! This blew my mind. 7psi max.?! I'm going to have to get a new pressure gauge.

Here's a good newbie question for you - How do I operate the choke on my bike please? Which way on the fuel tvalve is 'open'? I have had a search for a users manual but all I can find are guides to strip the cylinder top end and such.

Tap straight down is on.(the thumb shaped bit at the bottom) You should see a small R on one side and a C on the other for reserve and closed. stick a small cable tie on the end of the choke lever and then shove the choke lever as far up under the tank as it will go. then use the cable tie to pull it down again once its started as you probably wont be able to get your finger in the gap.

top tip that works a treat with mine is to put it in a high gear (4th or 5th) and rock it backwards and forwards with the clutch in until the back wheel stops skidding and rotates when you push the bike forward(you may need to sit on the bike). then put it back into neutral and fire her up. this both frees off the clutch and primes the carb for an easy start.

be careful sticking it gear the first time you start it as the clutches do drag and you can easily re-arrange your shed with a whole lot of Sherco !

Good luck !!

Wellcome to trials plenty of clubs and events around Bristol but you 're quite right not many are computerate you should google Wessex CTR ACU Twittering, there is a site run by Frank Sweeting who is moving our Centre "stuff" from a paper gazette to online, at least you will see some points of contact and what's on locally, Also for you ?beginers there is AMCA club Bath Classic Motor cycle club they run for classic bikes but will let over 40 years old on a mono ride (if that applies to you?) and thier trials are pretty easy. If you need any more local info or can't find it PM me.If you treally want to get involved the centr board meeting(you could read that as Bored) is at Warmley community Ctr. every first teusday in Month c. 7.30 for 8 and most clubs in the ctr. meet first thursday in month often in a pub!. If you find anywher good /free of hasle to practice PM me and I'll come out with you (practice land around Bristol is very tricky) all best Chewy

40 years old on a mono ride (if that applies to you?)

If you find anywher good /free of hasle to practice PM me and I'll come out with you (practice land around Bristol is very tricky)

Thanks for the info, I'll chase them up inbetween doing work today.

I suppose I should have shared a bit more info - I'm a 28 year old ex pushbike trials and 4x racer, I went and did a trials day with Chris in Devon (uuuuh, forget the name of the company) last year to help with my slow control and clutch stuff. I decided trials was for me and I only just got around to buying a bike. At the momebt I keep hearing rumours about a practice area near Birdlip, but I'm having a hard time getting any info about joining up.

Tap straight down is on.

Shove the choke lever as far up under the tank as it will go. then use the cable tie to pull it down again.

top tip that works a treat with mine is to put it in a high gear (4th or 5th) and rock it backwards and forwards with the clutch in until the back wheel stops skidding.

be careful sticking it gear the first time you start it as the clutches do drag and you can easily re-arrange your shed with a whole lot of Sherco !

I figured out the tap thing last night - Took the supply line to the carb off and moved the lever around. Quick way to see what does what! This is my first time mechanic-ing a two stroke, and I'm quite pleased with how logical it all seems. I have yet to venture into carb-land but I suppose that's next on the list since I still can't get the bugger started.

My choke seems to have a dongley-dangley thing attached already, so far I have only been lifting it around 20 degrees, sounds like it should go further than that so I'll be a bit less of a girl when I play with it tonight.

Interesting thing about the clutch drag, I wondered why the bike wouldn't push easily even with the clutch pulled in. Something else to bear in mind, thanks for the tip off.

yeh choke should point straight up when fully on

and yeh the clutch drag/ sticking is something to be aware of.. had a few interesting starts when i 1st got the bike

i normally just ride around abusing it (throttle brakes and clutch) untill it free's off !!

the way above ^^ sounds a bit more controlled :D and probably a bit nicer on the bike:)