2002 Gas Gas txt Pro 280

jamez

Hi Guys, what are your opinions on the 2002 Pro? I heard they gave some trouble as it was a new model. Im asking beacuse I saw a one for sale which only ran for about ten hours acording to him. its in mint condition thats why im interested. What do you think?

James

I had an o2 280 and had no problems with it, but even then I was an old fart with a high degree of mechanical sympathy. If this bike had been in continuous use any bugs would've been sorted by now, but one with only 10 hours on it could still be a ticking bomb. Only difference between now and 2002 is the availability of second hand parts, so if you're good with the spanners yourself it might be worth taking a chance.

I had an o2 280 and had no problems with it, but even then I was an old fart with a high degree of mechanical sympathy. If this bike had been in continuous use any bugs would've been sorted by now, but one with only 10 hours on it could still be a ticking bomb. Only difference between now and 2002 is the availability of second hand parts, so if you're good with the spanners yourself it might be worth taking a chance.

Any views on the 2006 ?

I'm thinking of buying - above all I want reliabilty

Hi Guys, what are your opinions on the 2002 Pro? I heard they gave some trouble as it was a new model. Im asking beacuse I saw a one for sale which only ran for about ten hours acording to him. its in mint condition thats why im interested. What do you think?

James

I have an 02' Pro 280 and with minor updates (clutch pack and air box) it has been ultra reliable for the 9 years I've riden it. I could easily have a new bike each year but I really like the 02' and still have fun riding it (and it's never let me down).

The 02' has the non-anodized Magnesium engine so you can ride it hard but you can't put it away wet, literally. Check behind the flywheel area and under the engine for signs of corrosion. The handling of the 02' is a little better than the later models from my experience but all-in-all, it's a good bike and will give good service if taken care of (like any other Trials bike).

Jon

I have an 02 pro 280. Had the shifter return spring break and the kickstart return spring break and a spring on the shifter drum break. Some people have no issues while others have all of them. I wouldn't trade my 02 for anything. I love it. An amazing bike! By far more potent then the 300.