fuel/oil ratio 349

frexter

hi i know this will be a well worn subject but i,ve seen several conflicting reports

what is the correct fuel oil ratio for a mk 1 cota 349 bearing in mind i will be using mineral oil & not the sinthetic as i have loads of it in the garage from an outboard

Also i would like to know how much air to put in the forks when i replace the oil

on a previous bike it was 8 p.s.i. which i will probly start with

cheers peter

hi i know this will be a well worn subject but i,ve seen several conflicting reports

what is the correct fuel oil ratio for a mk 1 cota 349 bearing in mind i will be using mineral oil & not the sinthetic as i have loads of it in the garage from an outboard

Also i would like to know how much air to put in the forks when i replace the oil

on a previous bike it was 8 p.s.i. which i will probly start with

cheers peter

Be carfull with outboard oil if its for larger water cooled engines(TCW1-11-111), its not suitable for air cooled engines and will damage the piston and bore. Outboard motors run much cooler than conventional 2t motors and the oil is formulated to suit, stick on E bay and get some appropriate oil. 25:1 for mineral and 32:1 for synthetic is wha the manual says for the 349. I use normal mineral castrol in mine at 25:1 ok it smokes a bit but so what it runs clean enough and thats the main thing and I want it to last another 25 years without trouble. :thumbup:

I can't help but think that the mineral, but particularly the semi or fully synthetic, oils now available will be far superior to what was available to the guy who wrote the manual for the 349 back in the day so it may be possible to run leaner oil ratios with no ill effect on engine life.

Of course this would result in a slightly richer mixture as far as combustion is concerned and, as the 349 never seemed to be the crispest running of bikes, some rejetting could be required.

I'm currently running my 348 on 50:1 with synthetic race oil, I was running it on 30:1 to start with as recommended, but it was consistently oiling up. The plug had to be dried for every cold start. It has the original Amal L2627/402 carb, jetted correctly, but didn't seem to like 30:1. I gradually reduced the oil to 50:1 and now doesn't oil it, it still smokes good, and runs well...

I'm currently running my 348 on 50:1 with synthetic race oil, I was running it on 30:1 to start with as recommended, but it was consistently oiling up. The plug had to be dried for every cold start. It has the original Amal L2627/402 carb, jetted correctly, but didn't seem to like 30:1. I gradually reduced the oil to 50:1 and now doesn't oil it, it still smokes good, and runs well...

thanks for that i,ll experiment with different oils & ratios when the spring gets here + i think my carb needs setting up properly because it fires up first kick from cold or hot but doesnt rev up as responsively as it should do , a bit fluffy & ive cleaned out the carb & put a new airfilter on

cheers peter

I concur with BPilgrim and also use synthetic (Amsoil Interceptor and Castrol ActEvo) at 50:1 in my 348's. The 32:1 ratio was fine back in the 70's, prior to synthetics but all that unburned oil just collects in the muffler and will eventually creates problems if not burned out.

• 2 months later...

I concur with BPilgrim and also use synthetic (Amsoil Interceptor and Castrol ActEvo) at 50:1 in my 348's. The 32:1 ratio was fine back in the 70's, prior to synthetics but all that unburned oil just collects in the muffler and will eventually creates problems if not burned out.

i have started using a synthetic oil BUT have just smelled castrol r at a friends which i didnt think you could get anymore & have decided to go back to the old faithful if nothing else the smell brings back old memories