Ty175 Clutch Pushrod

ivorybull

When I bought my TY175 for restoration the clutch pushrod was missing. I bought a new one from Trail and Trials only to find it was too long.

It looks like there is a piece of the old rod still inside the housing. I have tried everything to get it out but it won't shift. I can't see any way of pushing it through from the back. Any ideas or advice?

As a temporary measure I have installed an inch long peice of bar that makes up the difference and the clutch works OK.

Iain

The old type push rod was a one piece item, they were replaced as an upgrade a two part separated by a ball bearing,it sounds like you have a broken one fitted,to remove the clutch end part of the rod you will have to remove the clutch springs and pressure plate as the rod that's in there has a flat washer shape end to it, so it will only come out this way.

I have already stripped out the clutch plates so I could see the hole where the rod goes in.

I have an end rod which is approx. 2" long with a flat end that pushes against the pressure plate. When this is placed in the hole it does not touch the clutch pushrod mechanism which is still in there. I've stripped out the clutch arm on the left of the bike and can see the end of a rod poking out when I push a rod through from the clutch plate side, but I can't get it to come out. If I could get it out I reckon the new longer pushrod would fit and the clutch would work properly. I don't really fancy splitting the crankcase just to sort this out but if that's the only way I will have to do it.

If you have removed the clutch pressure plate. The old rod should push out very easy with the new longer rod. If it doesn't push out with light pressure you have some other problem. Once the old rod is out I think you will need the ball bearing to make the rod the correct length (a steering head bearing should be the same size).

Alan

Hi Alan

I'm really confused. The pin runs all the way through the crank case but it will only come out one side as far as I can see. The left hand side has the arm which is connected to the clutch cable. There is no hole for the pin to come out this side unless I have missed something? I have the ball bearings, three in total, one came with the new pushrod kit and two were in the hole where the rod should go. I got these out with a small dab of super glue on the end of a stick but I could not get the remaining piece of rod out using the same method.

Iain

I think we all assumed you had removed the clutch arm to reveal the other end of the rod? remove lock nut on end of clutch adjuster(fly wheel cover off), unscrew adjuster,the clutch arm will rise and fall with a pin that locates in a grove which is normal, when removed the clutch arm will pull out of casing to reveal the other end of rod.