07 Sherco 290 starting problems

scotty97

I have a 2007 sherco and im having trouble starting lately. When i first bought it, one or two good kicks and it would fire up. Recently when using it, it seems to take over ten kicks to start cold and then runs perfect, but when i knock it off if it doesnt start on the first 1 or 2 kicks, it can take ages to get to fire up. During this time when im trying to kick it, the kick back gets quite violent (snapped a kickstart too).

I have not retarded the timing yet, (although i bought the puller to do it) and i know this might help. But i have never had this problem before with starting it.

I would like to get it starting as it was before, before i start adjusting timing.

The bike is serviced regulary, and the spark plug is new.

Its hard to get my head around because when it does start it runs like a dream.

Any ideas what i could look at??

Could timing slip?

Coil??

As anyone else seen this before?

Well the last three times i've been out, i noticed the problem. never happened before that

first time. Wet but not cold

second time. cold (2-3degress C)and snow

last time. about 5 degrees C and dry.

dont think its to do with water cos it happened when i got her out of the garage. unless water has got in somewhere when i used it the time before.

like i said runs perfect once started.

I read somewhere about corrosion on the stator from damp inside the mag cover??????

Mine has been difficult to start from cold lately too and I've put it down to a couple of things. 1. Cold weather 2. Bike has been parked up for the last 2 months only started once every 2-3 weeks. 3.Something to do with what they're putting in fuel these days. For me the answer has been to drain fuel from carb before trying to start it. You could also try leaning it to the left for a few seconds once you turn the fuel on. Hope that helps.

Edited by LC -Rev3

I remember seeing on here several times to check the earth of coi? electrics? up under the headstock area; maybe worth a look. I also wonder about fuel/Sherco it does seem to me they are the most sensitive to fuel variations and ours is certainly different to Europe. Anybody technical enough to go into bernoulies equation re the inlet system.

Well the last three times i've been out, i noticed the problem. never happened before that

first time. Wet but not cold

second time. cold (2-3degress C)and snow

last time. about 5 degrees C and dry.

dont think its to do with water cos it happened when i got her out of the garage. unless water has got in somewhere when i used it the time before.

like i said runs perfect once started.

I read somewhere about corrosion on the stator from damp inside the mag cover??????

Mine have often been a pig to start at 5c and below. Laying the bike over to spill a bit of fuel into the motor was at times the only way.

Several things come to mind here. If you are getting the alcohol laced fuel as most of us, water will settle out in the cold temps. You might try carefully removing the carb, then removing the bown over a clear glass bowl or something similar to try and catch all that comes out. You may be surprised what you collect.

The current recco for cold climate is enlarging the choke jet to .70-.80.

There may be some advantage in shutting off fuel and running bowl down or dry before putting the bike away. This way, you get fresher fuel in the bowl upon the next startup after sitting.

Empty your fuel can into the glass bowl as well to insure it is cleaned out well.

Fresher the fuel the better!

Wil not hurt to check, clean and securely tighten the earth lug on the cdi as Chewy said. Should be on the headstay bracket on that year.

Rocking the bike in gear to free up the clutch and all prior to kicking gets a bit of vacume going and fuel circulating which can help as well.

As I have been running the Oko carb, it does seem a bit better, yet mine still died twice last week at about 5c range.

:rolleyes:

Cheers fellas, looks like im not the only one geting problems then.

Next time i get 5 minutes i'l take drain the bowl and then see if she starts.

Luckily we dont get very cold weather for long, only a few weeks every year so i think i'l leave enlarging the choke.

I havnt been a ble to get out on it so often this year so perhaps the longer spells sitting in the garage and the bit of cold weather we had has got to the fuel then.

I'l check the earths aswel as advised,

• 3 weeks later...

Just opened carb up. Found a few bits of dirt and a lot of moisture/water in the fuel. Wits the best way to clean it all out ? Wot jets etc do I need to clean???

Oh jeez, I gotta do a u-tube vid on this I guess. I gotta put that on my list!

Hopefully the thing is reasonably clean on the outside. Get yourself some carby spray from the auto store, or brake cleaner will do.

The main jet is held in the bottom screw used to remove the bowl. The idle jet sets just behind it in the carb body.

Remove them both and clean everything spotless with the spray. The idle jet is tiny, and you must be able to see through them both. A fine wire to pass through may help insure it is clear. 0.3mm or so.

Remove the fuel inlet banjo bolt and ck the screen as well.

Blow out passages in carb bore wiht the cleaner.

When you are sure it is all clean enough to eat off of, then re assemble.

Same level of clean for carb bore and slide w/needle. One bit of dirt can stick it wide open,not good. You may lube the slide lightly with light oil before insertion on reassembly to insure it snaps shut properly before restarting the bike, audible click if all correct.

ps- compressed air with a blower helps.

Good luck! Did I say spotless?

Also had to take my kickstart off as its like a banana, the kickstart is only a few months old, only used the bike a couple of times since fitting it. is there any way of getting them straight with out weakening them.

Any chance some one could place a photo on here of their kickstart so i can see roughly what shape it should be????

(I cant seem to upload photos)

Forgot to say, cheers copey, i'l clean it out thoroughly as advised.

Is it worth me puting my boysens in now while i got the carb off or would you wait til the bike is sttarting again tidy???????

I suppose you should go ahead with them since you have it stripped.

Also had to take my kickstart off as its like a banana, the kickstart is only a few months old, only used the bike a couple of times since fitting it. is there any way of getting them straight with out weakening them.

Any chance some one could place a photo on here of their kickstart so i can see roughly what shape it should be????

(I cant seem to upload photos)

I think I would ck with your supplier on warranty for that. Seems to me that occasionally one will get through that is improperly heat treated or something, too soft and bends like a bannana as you said.

A good one will not do that. :rolleyes:

I spoke to the supplier earlier and he said that he also had a bloke from new Zealand phone him to say he fitted a new kickstart and it snapped first kick??? So he asked for some photos so he could contact sherc" about the problem. Got to wait and see what they say. 75 pound for an alloy banana is a bit much??