Road Trials

Guest coflet

I appreciate that a road used trials bike needs an mot including horn. ok it needs a proper number plate possible but not practical BUT all trials tyres are "not for road use" how do we get round this .(especially with 4psi rear 5psi front) ????????????????????????? :wall:

Break the law? As the bikes have no speedo, an illegal number plate and in the case of the 4T's I suspect the exhaust may be illegal, in fact even some 2T's maybe illegal too so lets face it, the tyres, might be illegal too! But as someone said earlier, the bikes get round the roads of Ft William during the SSDT with no police problems.

Road legal trials tyres are available. Mitchelin X11 I believe are road legal in the UK but are marked up not for road use in the States but if I am wrong I will soon be corrected on this. However I must confesss using Dunlops on most of my Bultaco's. I remove the "not for road use" wording with a dremmel and they go through the MOT each time OK. The low pressures do not seem to be a major problem at the speeds we run at in trials. I occationally ride a 500T Norton and if riding a long distance trial (Arbuthnot) I tend to up the pressure a bit as this seems to avoid the percussion punctures that these rigids seem to suffer from.

Most Trials bikes are supplied with a speedo from new. I know that GasGas are, as the speedo of my son's 04 280 is sitting on my desk at home. Speedo's are not required for the MOT but as I understand it are required to actually be road legal but this point is oftain debated. A friend of mine rode the 03 Scottish on a 79 Bultaco, he fitted a speedo and a short bit of petrol pipe that disapeared under the engine! and he was ridding with the police team! Most pre 65 bikes in the area that I live are fitted with bicycle digital speedo's from Halfords. Cost about

For some reason or other, I seem to have a collection of Speedo's sitting on my desk at the moment. The one from my sons bike is from is GasGas 280 04. But also with it on my desk is one from one of my Bultaco Sherpa's and I have just managed to pick up a new correct Speedo for my Bultaco Frontera and this is also on the desk waiting to be fitted.

The Gasgas one is electronic and came with the bike new as most of the trials my son rides are not on the road he prefers to keep it safe from damage. I also have a GasGas wing mirror that was supplied with this bike. I guess this would add a new look as he attempts Laggon Locks!

An original but second hand Speedo from a Bultaco Sherpa recently sold for