Twinshock or modern for an old beginner ?

hustler

OK youve had loads of advice so far and all of it is valid but i will now ask YOU a question that nobody else has seemed to bother with and this comes from experience not just mine but that of a lot of our club members.

What type of trials do you want to ride?? You say you are an old beginner? I assume then that like the rest of us who are a "certain age" you dont heal as quickly as you used to? your confidence and commitment may not be as a 30 year old or younger?

Yes a "modern" bike may be easier to ride but where are you going to ride it and what are the sections like that you will have to attempt?

There are more and more "Classic" clubs and "Classic" type trials where you and your twinshock, should you take that route, will have a great time with far less chance of injury than you would at a "modern" event. A lot of "modern" events offer "easy" routes but make sure that these "easy" routes are what you will enjoy riding and have not just been included so that you subsidise the modern riders. Very few "Classic" clubs will allow a modern bike to ride. So you get the modern bike for low maintenance, dont buy that arguement personally but whatever, easy to ride, dont buy into that either but also whatever, but then find you may not be able to enter the sort of event you want to ride in.

I and many others find the atmosphere at "Classic" clubs, by that i mean twinshock and Pre65, much more friendly and more enjoyable. Others may argue against that but experience tells me otherwise.

You are perhaps right not to go the Pre65 route but Trials isnt just about the bike you ride it's also about where you will ride it, what sort of sections you will encounter and who you want to ride with.

Look at the bigger picture. Dont just dismiss twinshocks, which incidentally are the only arm of the sport that is growing at the moment i wonder why ????, for the wrong reasons.

Go to a "Classic" event and then make a choice.

Incidentally i sold a really nice TY250 twinshock last Sunday to a guy who had bought a brand new Gas Gas, again advice from others low maintenance easy to ride blah blah blah, he loved the bike but hated the first two trials, modern clubs BTW, he entered and when he came to our event as a spestator to see what it was like turned to his wife and said "this is it this is what i wanted to ride". That sealed it and he bought the TY on the spot. Now he's got a nearly new Gas Gas only two trials old thats lost over 30%, if he's lucky, to get rid of. On the possitive side he's now got a twinshock that will only ever appreciate in value and he can enjoy it while it appreciates.

Think long and hard before you decide.

Your choice.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

OK youve had loads of advice so far and all of it is valid but i will now ask YOU a question that nobody else has seemed to bother with and this comes from experience not just mine but that of a lot of our club members.

What type of trials do you want to ride?? You say you are an old beginner? I assume then that like the rest of us who are a "certain age" you dont heal as quickly as you used to? your confidence and commitment may not be as a 30 year old or younger?

Yes a "modern" bike may be easier to ride but where are you going to ride it and what are the sections like that you will have to attempt?

There are more and more "Classic" clubs and "Classic" type trials where you and your twinshock, should you take that route, will have a great time with far less chance of injury than you would at a "modern" event. A lot of "modern" events offer "easy" routes but make sure that these "easy" routes are what you will enjoy riding and have not just been included so that you subsidise the modern riders. Very few "Classic" clubs will allow a modern bike to ride. So you get the modern bike for low maintenance, dont buy that arguement personally but whatever, easy to ride, dont buy into that either but also whatever, but then find you may not be able to enter the sort of event you want to ride in.

I and many others find the atmosphere at "Classic" clubs, by that i mean twinshock and Pre65, much more friendly and more enjoyable. Others may argue against that but experience tells me otherwise.

You are perhaps right not to go the Pre65 route but Trials isnt just about the bike you ride it's also about where you will ride it, what sort of sections you will encounter and who you want to ride with.

Look at the bigger picture. Dont just dismiss twinshocks, which incidentally are the only arm of the sport that is growing at the moment i wonder why ????, for the wrong reasons.

Incidentally i sold a really nice TY250 twinshock last Sunday to a guy who had bought a brand new Gas Gas, again advice from others low maintenance easy to ride blah blah blah, he loved the bike but hated the first two trials, modern clubs BTW, he entered and when he came to our event as a spestator to see what it was like turned to his wife and said "this is it this is what i wanted to ride". That sealed it and he bought the TY on the spot. Now he's got a nearly new Gas Gas only two trials old thats lost over 30%, if he's lucky, to get rid of. On the possitive side he's now got a twinshock that will only ever appreciate in value and he can enjoy it while it appreciates.

Your choice.

Here Here

I started trial 27 years ago and did compete for about 4-5 years then discovered women beer and cars. About 10 years ago I decided to get the old mont out of retirement and have another go.......well the local club did not realy accomodate the older bikes and I realy struggled getting to the end of the sections let alone getting a clean or even a 3. This put me right off..

Now having found a suitable club with realistic sections for the creaky old bike and rider Im back on the pegs.

Edited by jimbo349

Your choice.

Thanks Old trials fanatic and thanks to everyone who has replied.

Most informative and appreciated, thank you all.

In answer to your question Old trials fanatic, I haven't done a trial as yet but I know I want a friendly and enjoyable atmosphere and I want to enjoy my riding.

I suspect these are the main targets for me and I equally suspect I'm going to prefer easy sections.

Maybe I can relate this to trail riding in that I preferred a leisurely bimble with no awkward and difficult bits whereas most around me liked big challenges of 3 foot deep bogs and the like.

I don't do fear, I'm not keen on pain and I'm not bothered about winning at all.

I suppose I would like to improve over time.

I enjoy a bit of bike maintenance and tinkering but I'm not a mechanic.

I'm not concerned about a twinshock going up in value and I think I'd rather they didn't.

And I'm taking my time before deciding.

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks Old trials fanatic and thanks to everyone who has replied.

Most informative and appreciated, thank you all.

In answer to your question Old trials fanatic, I haven't done a trial as yet but I know I want a friendly and enjoyable atmosphere and I want to enjoy my riding.

I suspect these are the main targets for me and I equally suspect I'm going to prefer easy sections.

Maybe I can relate this to trail riding in that I preferred a leisurely bimble with no awkward and difficult bits whereas most around me liked big challenges of 3 foot deep bogs and the like.

I don't do fear, I'm not keen on pain and I'm not bothered about winning at all.

I suppose I would like to improve over time.

I enjoy a bit of bike maintenance and tinkering but I'm not a mechanic.

I'm not concerned about a twinshock going up in value and I think I'd rather they didn't.

And I'm taking my time before deciding.

Thanks again everyone.

Think you just summed Twinshocks up perfectly. Trawl this site cos there are some good links posted to videos of twinshocks on you tube that way you can see the sort of stuff we ride. No hero stuff just a lot of fun :thumbup: