Pre65 Route

stickinthemud

So the message on the SSDT Pre65 webpages is that the trial will not be going over Blackwater in 2011 due to environmental considerations. That's a real shame.

Nor will the route go over Callart Pass. Back to two way traffic on the Mamore Road. At least it's better than the ride back on the tarmac road although the 'new' sections on the roadside were good especially for spectators.

Complaints have also been received from competitors about the severity of these two parts of the route.

What does anyone think?

To me cross country work like this is one of the best things about the event.

Anyone know where the route will go instead of over Blackwater? Two way traffic on the track up to the Dam? That could be dangerous.

Wonder which old sections are being brought back into use.

So the message on the SSDT Pre65 webpages is that the trial will not be going over Blackwater in 2011 due to environmental considerations. That's a real shame.

Nor will the route go over Callart Pass. Back to two way traffic on the Mamore Road. At least it's better than the ride back on the tarmac road although the 'new' sections on the roadside were good especially for spectators.

Complaints have also been received from competitors about the severity of these two parts of the route.

What does anyone think?

Anyone know where the route will go instead of over Blackwater? Two way traffic on the track up to the Dam? That could be dangerous.

Wonder which old sections are being brought back into use.

Sorry, but the Pre-65 Scottish Trial hasn't gone over "Blackwater" in years! It has crossed in front of the Blackwater Dam if that's what you mean? I presume you are referring to the long ride over "Meall Na Cruidhe"?

In short, the event uses parts of the SSDT route and remember organisers have to demonstrate that they are using private land wisely and in an environmentally friendly way. It is prudent for a farmer to "rotate" his crops and in some cases to leave some of his land "fallow" for a year. Same goes with trials, you sometimes have to let an area repair and that definately applies to the area you refer, as it has been used for many years both by the Pre-65 and the Scottish Six Days.

Just a thought! :rolleyes:

Big John

Edited by Big John

What does anyone think?

You are absolutely right. Perhaps these people should be self-selecting and avoid the agony of the ballot? What on earth is the point in riding the Premier trial in the calendar then complaining about the terrain, which has always been, and intended to be, challenging? Let someone else have the chance.

And no, I don't enter the trial so my opinion is not sour grapes.

While it's maybe a bt disappointing not to have the run across Meall na Chruadie but as my learned friend Mr Big John says, it does need time to repair itself, last time I was across it was a bit of a mess.

It is a tough trial, any trial around there is but as responsible trials people we have to respect the land and if it doesn't get a break it will end up in a horrific state.

It has also been widely reported in the local press over the last 6 months that there are various construction works and installations ongoing in that area, resulting in construction workers being in the viscinity. So it would make sense to "stay away" for a while to let the installation get built without trials bikes getting in the way of operations!

Big John

While it's maybe a bt disappointing not to have the run across Meall na Chruadie but as my learned friend Mr Big John says, it does need time to repair itself, last time I was across it was a bit of a mess.

It is a tough trial, any trial around there is but as responsible trials people we have to respect the land and if it doesn't get a break it will end up in a horrific state.

i was across there the sunday after the pre65 it didnt look good then so after the scottish went over it would be even worse.the scottish has to change its route now and then to let the ground to repair itself. :agreed:

Big John

.... Sorry, but the Pre-65 Scottish Trial hasn't gone over "Blackwater" in years! It has crossed in front of the Blackwater Dam if that's what you mean? I presume you are referring to the long ride over "Meall Na Cruidhe"?

In short, the event uses parts of the SSDT route and remember organisers have to demonstrate that they are using private land wisely and in an environmentally friendly way. It is prudent for a farmer to "rotate" his crops and in some cases to leave some of his land "fallow" for a year. Same goes with trials, you sometimes have to let an area repair and that definately applies to the area you refer, as it has been used for many years both by the Pre-65 and the Scottish Six Days.

Absolutely BJ. The start of the path alongside Loch Eilde Mor was certainly getting worse last year and in need of a rest.

The main point of my post was to see if anyone knew what alternative had been decided. It would be a shame to increase the road mileage in exchange.

As 2/4 says, the severity of tricky cross country sections does deter several less able riders from entering and if lost could increase the number of entries and make the committee's job even worse.

It's always a privilege to ride over the moors and along Mamore Road bearing in mind the pressure from the environmental lobby to prevent such activity nationwide.

I'm sure we will enjoy whatever route is decided.

"As 2/4 says, the severity of tricky cross country sections does deter several less able riders from entering and if lost could increase the number of entries and make the committee's job even worse.

It's always a privilege to ride over the moors and along Mamore Road bearing in mind the pressure from the environmental lobby to prevent such activity nationwide.

I'm sure we will enjoy whatever route is decided."

[

I think you have completely misinterpreted what I was trying to say Stickinthemud. I didn't think of it as saying what you have taken from it but, on looking, it is an interpretation. The issue, I thought, from the original post, was that "less able" riders were complaining. I was actually being a bit harsh and saying that if someone was not up to the demands of the (restricted entry) event then they should not moan but leave it to those who are. If available spaces exceeded entry then I would say different.

I certainly have no inclination to increase the numbers of strugglers who really should know better (I'm no ace being snooty about others here as we can all find it hard at times, but I'm now mature enough to know when I shouldn't be somewhere while denying someone else a chance - one of the reasons why I don't do the SSDT again as I would dearly like to do)we've all seen the guys struggling to even reach the early sections at Loch Eild Path or Grey Mare's Ridge and wondered about this.

However I applaud the organisers for a sensible approach environmentally, I've raised such matters in my own club before now, as it has to be remembered that we are no longer alone in using the hills up there with more walkers and mountainbike riders (me among the latter) travelling "our" traditional routes.

I think that too few regard participation, as you correctly say, as a privilege. And one to be preserved.

Edited by 2/4

Good post 2/4, can I expand it a little.

I wonder how many Pre 65 trials have a similar format as the SSDT Pre 65?? How many are 10 sections up a burn with little or no moor work involved, How many pre65 riders have the ability to ride the sections which in some places ARE tough? How many can handle the sections but really struggle over the moor crossings?

I know last year, I had a couple of complaints that the sections were a bit tough but more regularly was riders coming off Meall Na Chruadie across to the sections at the wee dam and having a ten minute break to get their breath back. Now I don't claim to be much of a rider but one thing my old man taught me was how to ride moors and ride them without killing myself. A few years back myself and another guy helped shepherd a bloke on a Dot off Meall na Chruadie down to Loch Eild Mhor, the run was in poor condition and this guy, no disrepect meant, hadn't a clue, if there was a hole or a bog to get stuck in he did.

Now if the complainants are doing so because the can't handle the moors then don't enter, they are a major part of what maks the Pre65 and the Scottish itself.

If the complainants are doing so because they can't handle the sections, well to be honest that's the same as any other trial you get some tough sections you get straightforward ones.......riders will ALWAYS complain about sections!

I don't believe people should not enter but I do think that some of the riders need to have a wee think as to whether they can handle it or not, I know I couldn't.

Agree about the bogs. The tracks over the moors were good fun but the bogs were a complete surprise to me. Thats the thing i always stress to people i speak to who are riding the Pre65 for the first time. The sections arent the problem as they are all "do able" but after crossing the moors and pulling the bike out of the odd boghole a section you would clean no problem is suddenly a whole new ball game.

All part and parcel of the event and what makes a finishers award all the more special and something to cherish.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

I don't believe people should not enter but I do think that some of the riders need to have a wee think as to whether they can handle it or not, I know I couldn't.

I think that's basically what I was trying to say. But if you overestimate your abiity then don't be complaining about the between section going - after all the format of the event is (or should be) known to all who might enter.

• 2 weeks later...

I personaly i think the best part of the Pre65 trial is the Crosscountry, it is just pure majic, it's all how you read the terrain, and experience, it can also be demoralising, and funny, that when you think you are flying accross the bogs on your cub and feeling great only to be passed by the likes of Mick wilk on his little James and wonder how the hell does he go so fast. :icon_salut:

What a Trial :guinness: