Picture Request - Forward Mounted Shocks

kanur

Would any of you Yamaha guys have any or be able to take some close up pictures of how your upper shock mount has been moved forward.

I would like to do this mod to my 250 and would like to see how others have done it. Please post pics here or you can email me direct at drwassell@charter.net

Any tips you have would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis

Edited by kanur

Thanks Tony,

Your bikes are my inspiration to build a TY :thumbup: , since finding it I can't stop reading your blogs. I have been away from vintage trials for a few years and want to get back into it on something other than the British kit bikes I have been so fond of.

I have been looking at pictures of forward mounted shocks and it seems to be 3 schools of thought. 1, a saddle with post welded to the down tube, 2, a hole drilled through the down tube with a sleeve welded in to accept a through bolt, or 3, a gusset with a post welded to the back of the down tube.

What I would really like to know is which is best (or easiest) :marky: to do and see some close up pictures. I really would like to get this part done right the first time. :rotfl:

Thanks Again,

Dennis

Thanks Tony,

Your bikes are my inspiration to build a TY :thumbup: , since finding it I can't stop reading your blogs. I have been away from vintage trials for a few years and want to get back into it on something other than the British kit bikes I have been so fond of.

I have been looking at pictures of forward mounted shocks and it seems to be 3 schools of thought. 1, a saddle with post welded to the down tube, 2, a hole drilled through the down tube with a sleeve welded in to accept a through bolt, or 3, a gusset with a post welded to the back of the down tube.

What I would really like to know is which is best (or easiest) :marky: to do and see some close up pictures. I really would like to get this part done right the first time. :rotfl:

Thanks Again,

Dennis

I normally just turn a new shock mount up on the lathe and weld it to the frame. Just remember to gusset the frame tube to the horizontal tube to dissipate the shock load. Dead easy.

I normally just turn a new shock mount up on the lathe and weld it to the frame. Just remember to gusset the frame tube to the horizontal tube to dissipate the shock load. Dead easy.

Thanks, sounds simple enough. I would still like to see some pics of different bikes.

• 2 months later...

is there a particular position the top mounts need to be repositioned in? ie 2inches from the top of the down tube or does this not matter?

Some pics would be great to see exactly how their welded the 3 different ways. About to have frame powder coated but want to sort this first!

cheers

Gav

is there a particular position the top mounts need to be repositioned in? ie 2inches from the top of the down tube or does this not matter?

Some pics would be great to see exactly how their welded the 3 different ways. About to have frame powder coated but want to sort this first!

cheers

Gav

Gav the ideal upper shockie mount location will depend on what the extended and compressed lengths are for the shockies you are planning to fit, and the leverage ratio you are intending to achieve - so there no one correct location that is ideal for every rider and every shockie.

There are limitations for rear axle travel with standard TY250 frames/swingarms, but these can be overcome if the brake pedal pivot mount is moved or if the rear subframe is bent upwards or cut off, or the swingarm length increased.

As far as the shock mount design goes, I will take a close up photo tonight to illustrate the way I did one bike.

I can't seem to upload photos to this forum tonight so will send you the photos via the email address you posted at the top

email sent

Edited by feetupfun