using WD40 on chain? or chain lube

mickmc

I use wurth dry chain lube and have done on all my bikes road, race or trials, best product on the Market in my opinion it's clean, no build up etc. I also use wd40 after a wash tho on the chain and other parts. WD40 could be used as a primary lube but as stated it would need a few applications in my opinion before riding and even then may not protect enough

Adam

I use wurth dry chain lube and have done on all my bikes road, race or trials, best product on the Market in my opinion it's clean, no build up etc. I also use wd40 after a wash tho on the chain and other parts. WD40 could be used as a primary lube but as stated it would need a few applications in my opinion before riding and even then may not protect enough

Adam

Yup. Same here.

I have found that WD40 works well for my o-ring chain equipped trail bike, but on my non o-ring trials bike chain i use Repsol chain lube. I hold a rag under the chain to keep the excess oil off the wheel and swingarm during application and apply it a small section at a time until oiling the chain is complete. It dosent fling off and make a mess and lasts at least four 3 hour rides. It's good stuff.

I used to use old gearbox oil (remember when we used to change the oil in car gearboxes)or old engine oil. It certainly worked a treat on my enduro bike, albeit an o-ring chain. I scoffed at the idea of using WD 40 but gave it a go and found that the chain and sprockets did not, in fact, wear out any quicker (but don't do road trials). But that was using a high quality chain costing a bit more than the