Cota 309 Wiring

manxmud

I posted this cry for help in the 'introduce yourself' section in June last year. Having checked to see if there have been any replies ( several times) and seeing that there aren't, I think I might be missing the people who can actually help out so I have moved my enquiry to this forum.

I have searched several times but cannot find anything on the internet which shows the wiring for this bike so any help in this direction would be very much appreciated. Only a lack of correct wiring is stopping this bike form being used now.

I'm hoping that someone on this marque specific forum can help -

I have a Montesa 309 which I obtained about a year ago it was in a very poorly state overall.

After much mechanical restoration work, it is now nearly ready to go but the wiring is a mess ( had been butchered in the past) & it appears to have a regulator / rectifier which looks like it doesn't belongs to the bike.

I am unable to make any sense of it & need a circuit diagram of the wiring for this bike to see what it should & shouldn't have in the ignition circuit.

Any body got a wiring diagram for this bike ?

If you can - please help an old duffer get this old ( ish) bike up & running again.

Then I can get rid of my back breaking Gas Gas TXT280 & have a more relaxing sit down on the 309 instead!

Cheers - Don.

Is it points ignition ? If so and you aren't using lights, you probably dont need a rectifier.

Trace the wire from the points, then connect it to the coil with a condensor mounted by the coil.

Edited by B40RT

YUP , GOT ONE FOR A COTA 309 + 310 , BOTH SAME . YOU SHOULD HAVE - GREY , BLACK , BLUE , BLUE (2X BLUES) GOING INTO CDI UNIT FROM STATOR . GREEN FROM CDI INTO HT COIL WITH PLUG LEAD (MAKE SURE COIL BRKT IS BOLTED TO NICE CLEAN METAL ON FRAME). WHITE FROM CDI IS NOT NEEDED JUST TO RUN BIKE (POSS JUST FOR HORN)SO TAPE UP . YELLOW GOES TO RECTIFIER ONLY NEEDED FOR LIGHTS SO TAPE UP . GREEN/YELLOW IS GROUND , BOLT TO NICE CLEAN METAL ON FRAME

• 3 weeks later...

Is it points ignition ? If so and you aren't using lights, you probably dont need a rectifier.

Trace the wire from the points, then connect it to the coil with a condensor mounted by the coil.

B40RT I'm afraid it's not quite that basic it's a CDI type. Many thanks for your reply though -It's appreciated.

YUP , GOT ONE FOR A COTA 309 + 310 , BOTH SAME . YOU SHOULD HAVE - GREY , BLACK , BLUE , BLUE (2X BLUES) GOING INTO CDI UNIT FROM STATOR . GREEN FROM CDI INTO HT COIL WITH PLUG LEAD (MAKE SURE COIL BRKT IS BOLTED TO NICE CLEAN METAL ON FRAME). WHITE FROM CDI IS NOT NEEDED JUST TO RUN BIKE (POSS JUST FOR HORN)SO TAPE UP . YELLOW GOES TO RECTIFIER ONLY NEEDED FOR LIGHTS SO TAPE UP . GREEN/YELLOW IS GROUND , BOLT TO NICE CLEAN METAL ON FRAME

BRILLIANT ! That's exactly what I needed -it has been a while since I last looked at it but the wire colours you state sound very familiar.

At the moment it's buried at the back of the garage behind a tent of plastic sheets & I can't get to it because my son is re-painting one of his race bikes ready for 1st race of the season next week (wet paint body panels everywhere) but as soon as I can get to the 309 again I'll wire it up accordingly to see if I can get a spark.

I will post again re: success or failure to achieve life-giving sparks.

Very grateful - Many Thanks.

• 4 years later...