TY250 Twin Shock Electronic Ignition

ahamayfrank

I have a US model 1977 TY250D that I am quite pleased with overall. I have an intermittent ignition issue that I believe would be cured with replacement of the points and condenser, However I am looking for a good excuse to upgrade to an electronic ignition. I have already spent a bundle on it, so why not?

I have read through a good bit of information after searching this site but I would like to stimulate some new discussion if folks here care to share experiences.

I have seen three systems that are similar in price that appear to be available for my TY. Do other posters have experience with these or other systems.

Electrexworld, tytrials, yamaha-majesty?

Inquiring minds want to know. :thumbup:

Thanks, Frank

I was going to go this route with my TY250,but it runs so well on points I couldnt see the point.....

After 2 1/2 perfect laps on my Ariel today,I have to say I would have killed for a spark as good as my Yam has on points when the Lucas racing mag started playing up.

I think the Yamaha ignition is absolutely fine,maybe the built in advance of the electronic systems might give a bit more top end if you need it,but reliability is probably top priority - which the original setup has.

I feel confident that I cured my intermitant ignition issues just yesterday with new points and condensor, cost for quality points ,condensor and flywheel puller was $40 usd. For my TY I would rather spend the $500 on a seat tank unit or new trials shocks.