Why Not

timp

Does anyone know why trials bikes are designed with the air intake at such a low level under the seat. Is it not possible for the airbox and fuel tank positions to be reversed so the air intake can be up above the water and mud levels near the headstock. Is it just because in spain and italy where they are made it is not a problem they need to worry about. In the uk water and muck getting in the airbox is probably the main cause of engine wear. Common sense says put the air intake up high but would this affect carburation

Mark T

Switching them around makes sense to me, though the airbox intake would only be slightly higher than it is now... the bigger benefit would be that a lower fuel tank would yield a lower center of gravity making bikes even more stable by reducing the polar moment of inertia (look that one up...!)

reducing the polar moment of inertia

Clark,

That sounds like engineer talk to me :P but you are dead on. :santa1:

It would only require a down-draft carb like on most street bikes. And a small fuel pump to get the gass up to the carb. The wiring and pump might add all of about 3 pounds, but with a full load of gas you would sure notice a difference.

Sounds like project time...but not for me. I have to learn to ride these things first. :santawink:

Did you see from the "A Few Missing, do they know" thread when Billy Traynor registered here - what he's been working on? Here's an excerpt:

A four stroke fuel injected trlals bike.

Think of this

250 Four stroke

Mikuni partial fuel injection

Showa front and back suspension.

User programable ignition (on the fly)

Rear fender attached to the swing arm (for greater clearance)

Foot pegs that rotate slightly for better balance.

No sub frame

Replacable carbon fiber boot guard areas.

Disc brakes that are inside the spokes attached to the hub.

A single sided swing arm

Gas inside the frame.

Run flat tires

A heads up (HUD display inside the helmet) tach to tell the rider when to shift gears for better usage of torque range.

A weight of 120 Ibls

Four gears with the fourth one changable by the owner

An electronic reverse gear switchable on the fly in a section.

A memory chip for remembering what your score was in each section and what gear and rpm range that you rode it in.

Now THAT sounds cool - let's see, Billy works for Mikuni, so is this just his wish list, or is this something that one of the majors is working on - I'm guessing either HRC / Montesa or GasGas. Now if it could just ride the section for me I could stay in the camper sleeping and sweep my class!

A four stroke fuel injected trlals bike.

Think of this

250 Four stroke

Mikuni partial fuel injection

Showa front and back suspension.

User programable ignition (on the fly)

Rear fender attached to the swing arm (for greater clearance)

Foot pegs that rotate slightly for better balance.

No sub frame

Replacable carbon fiber boot guard areas.

Disc brakes that are inside the spokes attached to the hub.

A single sided swing arm

Gas inside the frame.

Run flat tires

A heads up (HUD display inside the helmet) tach to tell the rider when to shift gears for better usage of torque range.

A weight of 120 Ibls

Four gears with the fourth one changable by the owner

An electronic reverse gear switchable on the fly in a section.

A memory chip for remembering what your score was in each section and what gear and rpm range that you rode it in.

what a four stroke? now that's just crazy. :P

:madsanta: