4RT 2005 friction clutch plates different colors?

juanroberts

My clutch is not very grabby, and at the last competition, towards the end, it made a whining juddering noise when put under stress. So I took it apart, and the friction plates actually look good. However, the two outer friction plates are completely dark brown, while the four inner friction plates were light brown, with green in between the friction material (i.e., they seem to have been manufactured differently, see pic below). My question is, is this normal, and if not, what are the recommended friction plates? I had read on this forum that the OEM friction plates on the 2005 were not very good, and that those on the 2006 and later on were better, as Montesa figured things out by then.

This bike was bought used a few months ago, and I am not sure what the previous owners did to it. The motor oil is "Silkolene 4T - Pro 4 SX - 10W40".

Thank you beforehand for your contributions.

John

Irvine, California

DSC02348.jpg

Edited by juanroberts

I have a Mitani clutch, and it has 3 different types of friction plates (2 of each type). There may be other Mitani clutches with 2 types.

The stock clutch has 2 types (2 each PN 22201-KY2-000 cork in positions 1 & 6, and 4 each 22201-MEL-000 paper in positions 2-5). Your picture looks like the stock clutch. If you didn't get the service/parts manual, there are 2005 and 2009 parts manuals (in PDF) on-line at the LewisportUSA website.

The engine oil is separate from transmission oil. I only bring it up because you only mentioned the engine oil. I've been using the recommended transmission oil -- ELF HTX740. It's pricey but works well. Not sure about your problem, but you might try some fresh HTX740 and see how your clutch works. The HTX740 is clear to light amber in color, mine usually comes out pretty clean after 6 months. FWIW, I use the same engine oil as you're using.

Can we get two out of three?

Yes, I am using the ELF in the transmission, thanks for helping me get it straight. The ELF seems to work really well, but does not smell too good when spilled on the garage floor. I leaned the bike over to do the clutch, and a couple of days later (I was buying an impact wrench to remove the center nut), oil everywhere.

The manual is incredible and has pictures of everything, but, when it came to the clutch plates they opted for a black-and-white fiche diagram instead.

Thanks for the help.

Here's a photo of my stock 2005 4RT clutch plates.

Montesa4RT-ClutchPlates2005-Resized.jpg

Yours looks like stock, but you be the judge. Note that's been out of the bike for a while, so its dryness may change the appearance a little. I'd recommend checking with Adrian at LewisportUSA about your problem, he may have some insight.