Tiger Cub Head Rebuild Questions.

brucey

Just a few questions:-)

I need to buy a tap and die to clean up the cylinder head studs and nuts.

What size thread is it ?(Square barrel and head if it makes a difference). It looks 5/16" but not BSF

Do the oil feed holes in the Rocker Spindles have to face any particular direction?

The rocker spindles seem to go into the head further than my old oval head. Is this normal? The lube holes are visible on the feed end of the spindles.

How many thrust washers are there on each rocker spindle? I have 1 either end of the shaft but not between the spring washer and the head but the Haynes Manual says 3.

What are the inlet and exhaust valve clearances for an R cam?

Is there a torque setting for the head nuts or do I just 'pinch' them up?

As usual, any help would be appreciated.

Bruce

• Like 2

Just a few questions:-)

I need to buy a tap and die to clean up the cylinder head studs and nuts.

What size thread is it ?(Square barrel and head if it makes a difference). It looks 5/16" but not BSF

Do the oil feed holes in the Rocker Spindles have to face any particular direction?

The rocker spindles seem to go into the head further than my old oval head. Is this normal? The lube holes are visible on the feed end of the spindles.

How many thrust washers are there on each rocker spindle? I have 1 either end of the shaft but not between the spring washer and the head but the Haynes Manual says 3.

What are the inlet and exhaust valve clearances for an R cam?

Is there a torque setting for the head nuts or do I just 'pinch' them up?

As usual, any help would be appreciated.

Bruce

The thread size is 5/16 cycle 26TPI.

Edited by Jack_the_lad
  • Like 2

The spindles can be in any angular position,

The axial location is set by the shoulder on the feed end of the spindles, so as long as the feed hole is in the bango and the o ring on the other end is in the head casting the job is a good un,

there should be a plain washer either side of the thackery washer, and 1 between the end of the rocker and the head. these act as simple thrust bearings,

Jack the lad makes bushes to replace the thackery washer set up to reduce a bit of the friction.

the tappet clearance are 2 thou inlet 4 thou exhaust

Tighten the head nuts up until they strip, then back off 1/2 a turn.... :rolleyes:

You will struggle to get a spanner on the nuts.. let alone a torque wrench.. jack makes blind nuts (the open nuts fill with water and seize onto the stud) from 13mm AF stainless. you can buy a cheap 13mm ring spanner anywhere, grind the spanner so you can get a decent swing on the nuts without breaking any fins.

• Like 2

Jack and Alan,

Many thanks for your replies. This sort of information is invaluable and difficult to get from books and manuals.

If I make a couple of phosphorus bronze bushes to replace the thackery washers, I guess I can leave 2 of the thrust washers out.

I'll be grinding down my ring spanner tonight while I wait for the tap and die to arrive!

Bruce.

Edited by brucey
  • Like 2

Just out of interest,

Can anyone explain what the 'Reputation' tag means and why mine has gone from 1 to 2 since opening this topic?

I'm assuming it isn't good but have no idea what I have done wrong!

Bruce.

• Like 2

Just out of interest,

Can anyone explain what the 'Reputation' tag means and why mine has gone from 1 to 2 since opening this topic?

I'm assuming it isn't good but have no idea what I have done wrong!

Bruce.

Reputation tag is something new added by Andy who owns this site. The higher your score the "nicer" or more respected a person you are by this community. The lower the score as in - figures , see my reputation, then the more dispised you are by the community. Your score is affected by viewers rating your posts either + or - . Dont worry yours is going the right way. I dont know what happens when you get "too many" negative scores but looking at it i will probably br the first to find out LOL :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3