Gearbox rebuild any tips ?

turps

I have just rebuilt my engine (reed valve type), and am having trouble with gear selection. I can get the first four gears but it doesn't want to go into fifth, does anyone have any tips on where I might have gone wrong. I thought that I had put it together according to the diagram in the manual but perhaps not. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

I have just rebuilt my engine (reed valve type), and am having trouble with gear selection. I can get the first four gears but it doesn't want to go into fifth, does anyone have any tips on where I might have gone wrong. I thought that I had put it together according to the diagram in the manual but perhaps not. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

I had a similar problem years ago after one of the cogs shattered literally, took it to bits rebuilt it according to the manual but it selected two gears at once and locked up. After a while of pondering bike in bits again I noticed that a washer? Spacer? was in the wrong order on the shaft in the diagram switched it over and all was o.k. might add that once the gear had shattered I could go down the box but not back past second cos part of the gear had caused a nick in the selector shaft but once stoned down all was ok.Perhaps someone else could verify. I’m sure I`ve seen a mention of it on this site may be worth a look through this forum. Hope this is of help.........just had a look through some old notes and i see part 36 should be between 38 and 39........

Edited by esuark

I had a similar problem years ago after one of the cogs shattered literally, took it to bits rebuilt it according to the manual but it selected two gears at once and locked up. After a while of pondering bike in bits again I noticed that a washer? Spacer? was in the wrong order on the shaft in the diagram switched it over and all was o.k. might add that once the gear had shattered I could go down the box but not back past second cos part of the gear had caused a nick in the selector shaft but once stoned down all was ok.Perhaps someone else could verify. I

Thanks for that, after some jiggery and awhole lot of pokery (hammery)! finally have five gears. I am now an expert on taking gearboxes apart and not such an expert on putting them back together I look forward to falling off it again.

when will you use 5th? :thumbup:

when will you use 5th? :thumbup:

When I'm speeding down the queens highway looking like a streak of lightning. I may not use it very often but it is nice to have it when I need it and as the gearbox seized its better to have it working properly so hopefully it won't happen again.