Txti 280 Oil

calvin

Hiya, I wonder whether anyone can help here, I have just taken delivery of a 2002 280 TXT and it appears to be weeping gearbox oil after about 2 hours of running. You know the leak which is just enough top be annoying but not enough to cause to many problems, anyway rather than removing the engine and stripping it (can't see any obvious place for the leak) I wondered whether it is model specific to weep in certain places, or are some seals weaker than others.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Calv'

Calv, I had one that the centre case gasket was slightly displaced and started leaking after several months. Suggest you spray everything off really good with solvent, then wait a day or so and watch close to where the leak is coming from.

Might also be a clutch cover gasket.

Thanks Joe, the clutch gasket has been replaced but seems to be doing its job, as a clean finger wipe around it shows no oil. It appears to be coming from the rear of the engine and if it wasn't for the gearbox oil smell I would have guessed at it be chain lube. Alas my life is never that simplethe oil is collecting on the rear portion of the bash plate. ;)

Possible it could be the sprocket shaft seal too. A careful cleaning of all areas will show it up most likely. They are sometimes hard to chase down, but oil leaks always show themselves at some point ;)