TLR200 Oil coming out timing hole

keychange

I wanted to check the timing on my TLR200 (not Reflex) - the Clymer manual says the pulse generator base plate can move - where as the Honda manual says the timing is not adjustable either way they both say to check with timing light with the engine idling - but when I do oil pumps out the timing hole cover and I can't see how I can use a light with oil spitting everywhere - is some thing else wrong?

• 1 month later...

OK so I ignored the oil and left the timing alone - but the miss is still there and maybe getting worse. I have tried a different O-Ring, changed the needle settings and cleaned the jets countless times.

The problem was annoying before but only came on under at higher revs but I have now replaced the 13 tooth front sprocket with a 9 tooth and everything is now at higher revs.

It is supposed to use a resistor plug and it has one but is it possible the resistor can fail causing issues with the CDI ? ( I have ordered new plugs) I did fit a non R plug and the problem was no better or worse.

Or should I be looking for a faulty earth

I think you answered your own question.

The earth point on the frame under the tank often causes problems, try cleaning the connectors and frame and make sure it is done up tight.

TLTEL

I think you answered your own question.

The earth point on the frame under the tank often causes problems, try cleaning the connectors and frame and make sure it is done up tight.

TLTEL

Yep took the tank off and that little bugger was as loose as! All good now :)