Rear Rim Width

motovita

I'd like to replace the 1.85 rear rim on my 199A with a 2.15. There is very little clearance on either side. Does anyone have any experience with this?

No experience, I did change my rims, but took the standard width. I know it is not so easy to get Acront rims nowadays but it's still possible, even the original red and yellow label one's. If you need the ressource PM.

My question to you is why do you want to mount a wider rim?

No experience, I did change my rims, but took the standard width. I know it is not so easy to get Acront rims nowadays but it's still possible, even the original red and yellow label one's. If you need the ressource PM.

My question to you is why do you want to mount a wider rim?

1- Because I think it will let the tire spread out and conform better to the terrain.

2- Because I have one.

1- Because I think it will let the tire spread out and conform better to the terrain.

2- Because I have one.

As you already have the rim, just to note the punches and the direction of the holes of your rim have to fit the hub and the way the spokes are mounted? (Just my two cent opinion).

To the dimension, the tire is a 4.00'' wide, your other rim "only" 2.15'' the original 1.85'' so where is the problem.

The increased width of the bigger rim will be no problem as far as clearance goes.

I know this because I fitted my M138 Alpina with a Pursang rear wheel (which have a much wider rim than Alpinas and Sherpa Ts come with)and it made no difference to the clearance to the swingarm, exhaust and chain. The width of the tyre is the critical dimension - not the rim.

On the same issue, I suspect that fitting a wider rim will make a competition trials tyre work less well on trials terrain than it would on the standard width rim

If it was being used on a Dirt Track racing bike (a slider) there might be an improvement by fitting a wider rim.

• 1 month later...