Another bloody impeller shaft

neo

Hmmm you know Neo there are some seals on the bike where I would only be happy to use the originals, water pump seals being one of them. Without looking at the quality of the aftermarket seals it is hard to say, but as mentioned I would prefer a dust seal. Have they changed the shafts from 2001 to 2006, coz I have this spare one I made sitting here doing nothing I could send to you.

Is it that the shaft is made of best European chocolate? like many of the other parts on these high tec/price competition machines. Sorry to be so flippant but i'm in that mood just waiting for Janet to do her hair etc then we're on the road To bonny Scotland.

You don't have dust, do you????????????? Not!!!!!!

Got the message loud and clear Cope :agreed: ... Seals went back to the shop yesterday.... But this will cost me 2 weeks of riding time :crying:

Best of balance.

Neo

Is it that the shaft is made of best European chocolate? like many of the other parts on these high tec/price competition machines. Sorry to be so flippant but i'm in that mood just waiting for Janet to do her hair etc then we're on the road To bonny Scotland.

Yes but I'm sure it is well tempered :rotfl:

Just a thought . I have two shercos and was going back to my local trials shop for seals every 3 or 4 months to get replacements. The owner used to laugh every time I went in and say ' you must be putting them in wrong'

but the seals were actually worn out . The lip was worn on one side even when I changed the shaft!!

So I mentioned this to an Engineer friend of mine who had a look at the old seals and shaft and he suggested, when building it up , smear everything in Vaseline ( Petroleum Jelly )and to be honest I've never replaced a seal since. That must have been 18 months ago!!

I am not an Engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but I can use spanners and get by with basic maintenance. Maybe these seals should have been built up like this anyway, and all you guys do it like this as a matter of course and I might be teaching my grandmother to blow eggs. But if not, give it a try . I don't think you have anything to loose.

Phil

Yep Phil I think you are onto something there. I was thinking something similar just today.

I've yet to check this out but I also think that the insides of the hoses (possibly under the clips) may be deteriorating slightly. And every time I pull a hose off (and on again) small granules of rubber are making their way to the seals and being pushed past the lips.

I'm waiting for Cope's professional opinion on this but he's gone really quiet lately :rolleyes:

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo

Yep Phil I think you are onto something there. I was thinking something similar just today.

I've yet to check this out but I also think that the insides of the hoses (possibly under the clips) may be deteriorating slightly. And every time I pull a hose off (and on again) small granules of rubber are making their way to the seals and being pushed past the lips.

I'm waiting for Cope's processional opinion on this but he's gone really quiet lately :rolleyes:

Best of balance.

Neo

Honestly Neo, I kind of doubt the hoses are the problem. I would just simply flush things and put it back with some grease on the shaft and factory seals. :rolleyes:

Edited by copemech