New to trials, Rev3 questions

si8433176

Hi all.

I've decided to have a go at trials.

I've bought a 2003 Beta Rev3, and wondered what gear oil do you guys use?

also:

the wheel bearings need replacing, ive ordered some and am happy doing that myself, but the bearing at the bottom of the rear shock is also worn. on closer inspection it looks like the shock itself has some wear in it. ie, the hole the bearing sits in looks like its worn out. has anyone else seen this and what did you do?

sorry for the barrage of questions, but also do you have your suspension fairly bouncy? i wondered if you had it that way to help bounce the bike around tight corners.

and one last thing,

the front brake does not lock up, i'd have thought it should!

it does have new pads in it so maybe they just need to bed in.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards Si

Edited by si8433176

update:

the wheel bearings are now done, just the shock bearing to replace, the shock itself is ok.

still the other stuff though, if anyone could advise it would be appreciated.

it says in the manual 20 40w light gear oil but my local dealer doesnt stock it. what do you use?

ATB Si

Edited by si8433176

Si,

I have had Rev 3's and now an Evo. I always use ATF in the gearbox - but change it fairly regularly. The front brake should lock up - there are lots of other posts about brakes - may need new pads / bleeding or not having the adjuster in too much on the lever as it can restrict the flow of fluid.

Can't really advise on the shock - that one needs someone to look at it I would guess.

Stick with the recommended coolant as the Revs did have a habit of eating the casings. Other than that you should be good to go! Enjoy it as they are a good all round bike.

If the bike sounds loud it is worth the few quid to buy a repacking kit for the rear silencer box from Lampkins. Cheap and easy to fit and worth the effort. Also Lampkins are really helpful with any questions that you might have. Give them a ring.

Good luck.

EC.

thanks for your help guys.

it looks like its had new pads very recently so i'll try bleeding them and check where the adjuster is.

thanks for the gear oil info, i guess halfords will have something.

and the coolant, i'll get that sorted too,

thanks again guys

Si

thanks for your help guys.

it looks like its had new pads very recently so i'll try bleeding them and check where the adjuster is.

thanks for the gear oil info, i guess halfords will have something.

and the coolant, i'll get that sorted too,

thanks again guys

Si

Hi si

I use putoline GP10, change fair regular and dont get any problems with it, i use silkoline pro cool or putoline coolant, cant remember the name now, hope this helps

Also i love my rev 3, great bike in my opinion especially to learn on

Adam.