Front Wheel

stuessenhigh

HIya...a post on behalf of a mate!!..

any help greatly appreciated.

The front wheel rim on his TY250 mono (1983 we think) is badly rotted.

Its a 32 spoke drum brake.

Just wondered. We will try to look around for another used 32 spoke rim here that might suffice...but were also thinking maybe its worth going the whole hog and trying to fit a different wheel+hub altogether..one with a disc even.

Any ideas on this....(Oh! and as is often the case..this will be done with as little money spent as possible..!!) :wacko:

I used a front wheel from a KTM motocrosser and machined the disk to a smaller diameter and then fitted a Brake caliper from a Kawaski 250 (single pot floater) and a Yamaha master cylinder and it all worked a treat.

To mount the caliper I made a template from timber. I made a hole for the axle and then a slot to suit the original guide to stop the brake from spining around the axle. I then shaped the other end to match the mounting plate on the caliper. I then used some 5mm thick plate and cut it to match the template and welded the plate to the original caliper mounting plate.

When fitting the wheel I needed to adjust the spokes to recenter the wheel as it was around 5mm off center. I later upgraded the hose to a braided hose from a KX80 as the original would expand under load.

Total cost me around the same as a new rim plus assembly.

PA. you are certainly an talented industrious fellow,judging by that front wheel conversion. :wacko:  :stoned:

Those skills must be a blessing with your current machinery :stoned:  :stoned:

OK  OK I'm off to Bed.

Yes, I use them all the time on my daughters Sherco.