Kick start

ty_steve

As I simply can't get myself to fork our the 200+ dollars for a new kick start on my TY 175 I have to ask the question - what are my alternatives??? Will any newer model kick starts fit, say something from a newer bike, different manufacturer etc? How about from the TY80? The TY80 kick start look much stronger, albeit a little shorter, and they are cheaper and readily available (at the moment at least). The TY 175 looks (and was) kinda weak...

Anyone??

The TY80 kickstart will probably work fine if you can work out how to ride the bike without a right hand footpeg

Ah... funny guy. I was wondering about that as I hadn't seen one in person. It looks like I'll be stuck getting the TY175 kickstart, but it pains me...

Steve have you priced one from John Cane in the UK? I find it to be economical to buy from John compared with my local (Australian) Yamaha shop for TY175 kickstart assemblies.

Yes, thanks feetup. That's the direction I'll be taking although I was hoping someone had a stronger alternative. Once received here in Canada it will be close to $200. Not much choice in the matter though!

As I simply can't get myself to fork our the 200+ dollars for a new kick start on my TY 175 I have to ask the question - what are my alternatives??? Will any newer model kick starts fit, say something from a newer bike, different manufacturer etc? How about from the TY80? The TY80 kick start look much stronger, albeit a little shorter, and they are cheaper and readily available (at the moment at least). The TY 175 looks (and was) kinda weak...

Anyone??

Firstly for me would be the above reply, failing that, there is an alternative, not ideal, but does fit.

I sourced a kick start lever off an '80's RD250 or 350 Yamaha, its way too long and will actually foul with the exhaust slightly, but more with your right leg when riding. But the pinch bolt on the spline design is far more robust in cast size to the TY one. I tried to heat bend it to shape better, but was just not quite right to kick on then. Go with the original!

Firstly for me would be the above reply, failing that, there is an alternative, not ideal, but does fit.

I sourced a kick start lever off an '80's RD250 or 350 Yamaha, its way too long and will actually foul with the exhaust slightly, but more with your right leg when riding. But the pinch bolt on the spline design is far more robust in cast size to the TY one. I tried to heat bend it to shape better, but was just not quite right to kick on then. Go with the original!

Thanks Subanator I appreciate the reply. It's pretty hard to replicate the original, and it's most likely the best route to go. I'll check out the RD250/300 though as it may be easier to source out and I like the fact it's stronger.

Steve