Puncture Slime

boofont

I'm pretty sure it will, I used some similar stuff on my tyre and it worked well, but be prepared for a mess when you take the tyre off though.

Despite this I would reccomend it (especially if your tyre spot fits your tyres as they will have to do half the cleaning up as you will only have to clean it if you turn the tyre round). It stops all those slow punctures you seem to get with low pressure tyres and it lasts ages.

GOOD STUFF, great in push bikes

Edited by bob

Just wondering what everyone's view is on this slime that is supposed to stop punctures. Will it work for trials tyres?

Mr B

I know a guy very well who manages a tyre shop (not local) his opinions of this sort of product cannot really be printed without resort to a lot of four letter words! ie Dont bother on the road!

As for trials I would have 2 concerns.

I suspect that since you will be running 4 - 6 lbs maximum & the slime sealing punctures works as a puncture starts the pressure loss may not be sufficient to make the leak fix work.

The other thing which would concern me is that the slime within a tyre is more likely to make the tyre slip or rotate on the rim.

I seem to remember on of the Bon Accord guys (Bob Prodger?) tried it at the P65 Scottish last year & it didnt work in that he still had to change a tube complete with the mess the stuff made!

g4321 is right in my opinion the stuff is a waste of time & bloody messy.

I guess you're worried about punctures in the SSDT. From what I saw last year & what other people had previosly told me the main problem is getting front punctures going down the forest tracks. Despite the fact that I was knackered most of the time there was realy no option but to stand up whilst going down the tracks, the added height means you can see the pot holes / rocks sooner. Also don't go like a loon across some of the rougher moor tracks, Mamore road for instance.

I've used a similar product for three years in both the front (tube) and rear (tubeless). It is absolutely awesome. I've pulled nails and glass out of the tire with pliers and watched it seal right up. We ride on a lot of sharp rocks and the only plugs I've had to use were in the sidewall gashes. Even then, when I jammed three or four "dog turds" into the side wall hoping to save the tire, within seconds of adding air green slime bubbled through and sealed up whatever was left. I highly reccomend it.

The downfall with the stuff is that it seams to lubricate the bead on the rear wheel. I occcasionally have a rear flat after hitting hard on a splatter. When I pump it back up it is fine but I can see a wet area next to the rim where the air blew out. I carry a small bicycle pump with me anyway so that's not too much of a problem for me.

As for the mess, it just wipes out with a rag and it's water soluable. No big deal.

The "Fix-a-Flat" in the aerosol can is a whlole 'nother issue. Stay away from that.

Spoke to 'rep/demonstrator' of Ultraseal at Scottish Bike Show today about suitability of his product for low pressure use - ie trials tyres. I emphasised that we were talking about pressures as low as 3-4psi but he assured me that Ultraseal will work even at such low pressures, claiming negligable loss of air before the product seals.

He said that it is used in grass cutting machinery & low pressure trailer tyres with excellent results.

I am only quoting what he said, he seemed knowledgeable about his product but remember he is a salesman & probably does not know the abuse a trails tyre takes so dont blame me if you try it & 1/2 way across a moor in the Scottish you have a puncture & no way of fixing it.

Me I am still sceptical, for the reasons I quoted in my previous post.!