Oil in the flywheel cover

blocky

I am in the process of rebuilding the engine from a 240 pro. When I originally removed the flywheel cover it was half full of gearbox oil and I was unable to acertain where this had got in.

Once the engine was stripped, I found that the kickstart shaft had no o ring or for that matter, no groove for the o ring to fit into. Im pretty sure this is the cause of the problem but why wouldn't the kickstart shaft have the groove ?

I have looked on http://www.r2wtrials.co.uk/html_files/fantic.newarrivals.html and the shaft there is exactly the same as mine (ie. no groove)

Anyone have any ideas ?

Never heard of forward kick Fantics having a issue breaking kickstarter shafts , Kickstart levers wearing out , yes ...(I've got a collection !) If my memory still works ??? there should be a o-ring on the shaft down in the case and a seal/oring at the outer case to inner case joint ...

Just my thoughts while I cook for me kids ...

Glenn B)

I had a 240 and a 300 snap a kickstart shaft . I am restoring a 300 at the moment and just changed the shaft to a non o ring one they are about 10mm longer but will not snap .As for the oil just fit a thin o ring between the outer case and the inner it worked on mine.

Regards Scorpa250