Clutch

oceanvibe

My clutch is dragging a bit so I am going to strip it and check the thickness and replace the plates to the right thickness, 9.75mm I believe. Just wanted to know what is the best stuff to clean the friction plates with and what is a big no no.

Did the dextron route and it made a big difference but stil a slight drag hence the strip down.

Any help would be great.

Oceanvibe, I'd just give the plates a good wipe down with clean rags. They are rarely terribly dirty and shouldn't need solvent or any particular cleaners.

HondaRS, with Pro clutches, they rarely wear, but will swell with some oils. This swelling is well documented. The reason for ATF is not necessarily that it is thinner, but that it is better suited to this particular clutch material. It provides more than enough lubrication and is perfect for wet clutch applications. It should be changed regularly as ot does breakdown with time, just as with any gearbox oil.

I did the O-ring first with no effect.

I then used Dextron ATF and found that gear changes were better and more precise but still a bit of drag.

The only way to cure Drag is to address all of the issues at the same time and make sure there is no air in the hyd. system.

I had a leaking water pump ( into the Gear Box ) that probably did'nt do my clutch any good !

Do

1. Oring seals

2. Use ATF

3. New clutch plates

Not too expensive !

Thanks once again for all the help. I plan on a strip down mon./ tue. so will let you know what the outcome is.

For the record, when I first changed the oil to dextron it went from dragging to slipping so the oil made a huge change. Backed off the adjuster and it almost worked fine but it just as a very wee bit of drag now. maybe a few more sessions will clear thru the duff oil that was there and it will sort its self !!! :D

Edited by oceanvibe

Success :D stripped the clutch today and it was 0.4mm to thick so replaced the steel plates with 1.3mm, (it had 1.5mm) gave it all a damn good clean and it now works a treat. No drag at all and feels much lighter.

Very easy job and cost under a fiver to fix, can't complain about that.