montesa cota 348

baz77

hi thinking of buying a cota 348 what sort of things go wrong as been offerd one but wont start has spark and good compression and he wants 375 not in bad nick what do u guys think ...thanks

hi thinking of buying a cota 348 what sort of things go wrong as been offerd one but wont start has spark and good compression and he wants 375 not in bad nick what do u guys think ...thanks

Sounds good. Motors are basic so should be an easy and cheap fix. Show pics.

Check the timing as the key can shear on the crank throwing the timing way out. The engine is quite basic so sparkes and fuel is all it needs, crank seals can need replacing which is a cheep job. Pistons are available but very expensive.

Good luck with the bike.

I have had three 348 Cota engines and 2 of the 3 have been missing the counterweight and have had broken shafts. I would pull the case cover and have a look. My understanding is this a really common issue. The other is the case around the kickstart being damaged from over rotating the kickstarter. Not an expert just my limited experience.

Sunny