fork damper dis assembly

chilly

I will do my best to describe my problem. I have some new fork tubes and they came with a bush and circlip fitted but no damper rod. by looking at my old damper rod i can only guess that it comes apart from the bottom (the bit that takes the bolt through the bottom of the fork leg)If i hold the rod with grips and the bottom bit as mentioned above with another pair,i can get them to move around freely but they will not come apart. Please can somebody point me in the right direction as i am proper stumped :wall:

Below is a picture of some damper rods, not Fantic, they are from Betor forks, but the same in principle

Just out of shot in the bottom right are the alloy cones that push fit onto the bottom of the rods, I'm guessing it is these that you can't seperate from the rods but you don't actually need to. I'm not sure if you're trying to do this to remove the damper rods from the original leg or whether they're already removed and you're trying to fit them to the new leg. If you're trying to remove them, pull the damper rod out to its full length and look inside the bottom of the fork tube there should be a circlip. Remove this circlip and the whole damper rod assembly will pull out of the bottom of the fork tube. Unless Fantic forks have a different arrangement but I wouldn't think so.

To fit the damper rods, just insert through the bottom of the fork leg. The large alloy spacer you see in the picture sits against a shoulder in the leg so will only go in as far as it needs to. Fit the circlip and that's it, they're fitted.

post-71-0-30268200-1308742203.jpg

yes thats more or less it. i have stripped the forks and took out the circlip and removed the rod assembly but the new forks came with the alloy bushes that are in the middle of your pic. i just want to dis assemble my rod/bush assembly to use my rods with the new bushes and circlips that came with the forks. maybe i need to get my hammer out!

ok, understand what you mean now, I thought you meant the bushes that fit on the chrome legs.

The alloy cones are a push fit but can be very tight. Put the rod in the vice and use something to tap or drift the cones off but it's hard to do without damaging them if they're stuck hard. You can try heating them to see if it will help release them but watch the O rings. Try boiling water first.