Basic Maintenance

tomf

Hi, I have just recently bought a Montesa Cota 315 1998 to kill some time at weekends.I'm new to the sport and am looking for some advice from more experienced riders.I work in maintenance and know that preventative maintenance keeps the machine running well for longer and was wondering what preventative maintenance should I carry out on my bike? and what should I look out for?.Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tom

I service my own bike by breaking it into areas and do one per month (or sooner). For instance I'll disassemble clean check lube reassemble the control systems on one day, the next time I'll do the forks and head bearings, then the swing arm, then the wheels/spokes, etc etc. This way the bike gets looked over and it is manageable.

I use a soft blue waterproof Mobil grease or CRC marine spray oil (thicker than the 556) on most everything. All bearings get a clean and wipe on the outside before the seal is popped off and the bearing is over packed with fresh grease. Throttle and cable are kept dry/lube-free. Send the rear shock away for a light rebuild every couple of years (makes a HUGE difference the the ride and traction). Maxxium Chain Wax is a brilliant chain lube that lubes well and keeps the bike clean.

If the engine needs work it gets a complete strip, replace all suspect parts and replace the main seals.

Plastics get a wipe with silicon spray.

Change all your fluids now, so you have a starting point for your own schedule. I run ATF in my gearbox which is relatively cheap stuff so I drop it after every full days riding. It holds 520mm. Wash and oil the air filter every ride (or rotate a couple which is what I do). Check the plug from time to time, although they seem to be quite reliable. I jetwash my chain, but others will tell you to leave it alone. I then brush on old engine oil. Fling isn't a problem as the speeds are so low, so I've not bothered with a purpose built chain lube. If it's a very dusty day and it dries out, I use Wurth Dry Lube or GT85.

Bearings and linkages all need looking at now, and will no doubt need fettling. I ended up replacing everything on mine apart from the swingarm bearings which were, and are, ok. There is an aftermarket maintenance free dogbone available but I have no personal experience of it myself.

If you've just got the bike, spend a wee while running the bike up and checking that the cooling fan cuts in and out nicely and regularly and isn't making any weird noises.

That'll do to get you started :thumbup: